Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Squirrel problems

I don't know if this is the right area to post this, but I couldn't find any other forum here that really fit.
Okay, this squirrel--I say 'squirrel'-- cuz I think it is the really smart one that keeps getting up our bird feeder to eat the suet in the suet cage & the seed square that hangs from a hook. We have used vegetable oil on the pole and baffle so it is harder for him to either climb up the pole or jump and lay on the baffle. That works some of the time, but when it rains (which it does lately 80% of the time)--he's back to his old shenanigans. Then we removed a round water dish holder that we don't use cuz the squirrel would sit on that & reach over & feast. We also raised the suet & seed square higher to make it harder to reach. Today he was up there AGAIN... I heard cayenne pepper would not hurt the animals/birds but turns the squirrels off. Don't want to hurt anything or chase the birds away. Is this true? Cuz then I will spread some cayenne on the pole and baffle. Thanks! (arghhhhh?) I even felt sorry for the squirrels so occasionally buy suet or the seed square & put it on the ground by the feeder. They are pigs though. They drag it off or eat it up in hours and are back to their old tricks....