Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Berries

Posted by The2Lees z6 ON (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 14:07

Weve got a lot of wild black, pin, and chokecherries, serviceberry, and raspberries, growing at our place, but at least half of them that appear to be mature and otherwise healthy haven't been producing any fruit. I was wondering why this might be (insufficient nutrients?) and what I could do to inspire more fruiting (fertilizer?).

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Berries

Are they in full sun?

o

Do you do any pruning with the berries? Blackberries, for example, will only produce on 2nd year canes. If you cut them all out, no berries the next year.

o

I notice on my serviceberries especially that if they produce one year they don't the next why I don't know even my holly tree doesn't make berries every year more like every four years this year it has berries and the squirrels are going bonkers throwing branches everywhere last time was in 2001 Serviceberries that were berryless last year have berries and vice versa why My guess is they save their energy but that's a very uneducated guess. Sarah

o

Serviceberries should produce every year. Same with wild cherries--they're basically fruit producing machines. Ditto the cane fruits. Have they perhaps been gradually shaded out? Nutrients shouldn't have anything to do with it. I never, ever fertilze, just let leaves, twigs, etc. lie where they fall and recycle nutrients back ino the soil.

For hollies, you need male and female plants. Maybe there's a male but not quite nearby enough, so you get pollination only some years.

o

That could be and several years ago when the new neighbors across the street moved in they cut down a beautiful holly tree which might have been a male I never saw berries on it. Sarah

o

I haven't done any pruning. Some of the serviceberries have been in the ground a year and produce meagre or no fruit. Perhaps in this case, they're simply too young.

Perhaps the shade has something to do with it. Our cherry trees are on the edge of a thicket, so they are open to sun mainly on one side. To me it seems like they get enough sun, but maybe they don't think so!

Chris

o

Chokecherries are understory trees; black cherries do quite well at an edge. They should fruit. Is it possible that the fruit disappears so fast (birds) that you don't see it? Do the trees bloom?

Most shrubs and trees take several years to bloom after planting. Cherries and serviceberries take maybe 2-3 years, viburnums quite a bit longer. Depends on the age at transplanting, the site, the species, etc., but I never expect blooms for at least a couple of years. (I buy small, bare-root plants.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here