Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping baby rabbits safe

Posted by maisiedays P (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 14:53

Hello,
My husband just found a nest of baby rabbits in our front yard. Several of our neighbors have cats that run around, and terrorize our wildlife. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the babies safe in their nest, and still allow mama rabbit acess to them? they are nearly ready to leave their nest, but not quite yet. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to bring them in, and raise them for the next week, and then release them, or leave them to the fate of the neighborhood cats. We've had several wild bird nests raided by said cats, and I don't want to have to "clean up" bunnies like I've had to "clean up" baby birds.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping baby rabbits safe

The BEST thing you can do is to alert your neighbors to the horrible things cats do to wildlife. Let them know you have baby bunnies. There are a few good websites with great information you could print off. Some people will listen and some wont. Those that wont need to be told that you will not tolerate cats on your property. Let them know that you intend to capture any trespassers and take them to the pound. Of course none of this is the Cats fault, they are just being cats. I would never really take them to the pound, if they let their cats roam they probably wouldn't pay to get it back and the cat may be put down. Find a cat rescue group in your area. Cats deserve a safe loving home and a warm lap. I will ask a few folks to post those good websites here for you . For now the best thing you can do is stay away from the bunnies so you don't draw attention to them or leave a scent trail.

o
RE: Keeping baby rabbits safe!!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/indoors.html

o

Wondering if you know how they are doing? Got any babies out hopping around?

o

My husband inserted wire beneath our 20x22 deck that only allows for small bunnies, birds to enter and be protected. Sometimes the mother takes them thru under our wrap around porch out front and has a hole large enough thru the treliss for them to stay. Cat cannot fit. She seems to birth them in the dirt there. I keep a watch out for stray cats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here