Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

200-year old tree in danger

dirtgirl
18 years ago

.I don't trust many of the environmental petition situations that get forwarded to me so frequently--I have to research anything of that nature to get the facts first and then it seems there is usually a hidden agenda or perhaps a situation that is very complex and without a "good side/bad side".

This particular issue came to my attention lately, and although I am certainly not asking anyone to sign anything, it is happening in a town near where I live so I feel I should share it with like-minded individuals.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/292110203?ltl=1122229112#body.

The story first came to me from a local paper, which interviewed the pastor and gave a summary of the issue, which had become a big thing since it was posted on a website to try and find an alternative. The snide remarks of this pastor and his attitude toward the tree as a general nuisance got me curious since and I began snooping around and trying to find out more from other sources. At first I thought the man was telling all these posters/petitioners to "put their money where their mouth was" so to speak, and that seemed fair. If you want to change something, you should take an active part in seeing it get done. Then I discovered that the minister was telling the CITY to give him the money.

His main reasons as stated for the removal?

The tree drops leaves on the roof of the church and it takes too much effort to clean them up.

The church needs the space for parking.

that's pretty well it

The same tree service that has been contracted to do the work has stated that the tree is healthy and sound and poses no threat to person or property, but they are still ok to do the job as hired. Other completely rational alternatives have been turned down, such as curbside handicapped parking. The need for handicapped parking is a tough one, because I have a chair-bound FIL and I know accessability is a legitimate concern, but I would never want a healthy 200 year old tree ripped out just so I can get to the door a few seconds faster.

I'm tired of the mindset that the envirnonment is just a barrier and an inconvenience to human progress and desires. Since this fellow seems to be purely thinking in terms of dollars and cents and not of the aesthetic/emotional/spiritual value of such things, someone should sit him down and go over some things such as natural cooling abilities, wind breaks, pollution filters, and the potential for trees to increase property values.

I think the comment he made that chafed me most and got my attention was the one about comments and things said in the petition just making him want to get out there and et the thing done sooner.

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Even churches should have to comply with tree ordinances, if there is one in that community. If the tree is healthy, it should not be taken down....and a city ordinance could prohibit it.

What a shame.

• terryr
    18 years ago

Centralia is a designated "Tree City USA"....why would they not stop this from happening? If the tree does get cut down, I would hope to heaven they would pass an ordinance to prevent this from happening again. I find it funny he's received 5 pennies and 1 nickel with the message that "God is watching you" attached. There are so many questions....why would a man of God blackmail his community? What is so wrong with the lease the city is offering? I just don't get it....

• ericwi
    18 years ago

It takes more than a pastor to make a church. What does the congregation think? If the tree is 200 years old, surely there are some church members who oppose cutting it down. Are they afraid to speak up?

• catherinet
    18 years ago

It's really insane. He sounds very suspicious, with his comments about being even more determined after hearing so many people don't want him to do it. He's a jerk. And as some of know, being a minister doesn't mean you can't be a jerk. I sure hope they can stop him. I would hope his congregation isn't just a bunch of sheep........and would stand up for the tree.
    It just blows my mind that some people can't appreciate and respect their god's creation.

• ericwi
    18 years ago

Dear Dirtgirl, have you any news regarding the fate of this majestic tree? I did a web-search, and pulled up a photo of the church and tree. It looks like the church was built around the tree. I would guess that great care was taken to avoid damaging the tree during construction.

• carolssis
    18 years ago

This issue has made me curious. I tried to find something on it and can't. Can anyone give me links or url's to read about it? It seems to me that cutting down a 200 year old tree is truly a shame. There should be a better solution! any help on reading Centralia, Ill. newpaper articles or whatever is greatly appreciated! Thanks

• ericwi
    18 years ago

You can Google search using key words: Centralia, church, & tree, to find articles on this issue. A recent article in STL today has a photo of the pastor threatening to cut down the tree in 30 days, unless the city or someone else comes up with 75 thousand dollars.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

He sounds like a real butthole to me. (nicer words than what I'm thinking) Nothing short of blackmail...

JOHNNIE B WILSON 424 COLLEGE AVE CENTRALIA IL (618) 533-6683

Too bad I don't have a phone...or some stamps;-)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz