Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Interesting pic from Dirtgirl

catherinet
15 years ago

Dirtgirl says:

A year or two ago I discovered a nice, neat, perfectly spaced row of ash seeds stuck in the trim of the house, winged part down with the seed parts up, every one positioned exactly the same. I knew a bird had to have done this, but I never did see what. I've seen birds cache food, but I had no idea they would be so methodical and neat-freakish about it. Yesterday as I was walking through the yard I happened to notice something sticking out of the window frame on the window over the sink. It was only when I got up fairly close that I realized what it was. We have been overrun by smallish, shiny black beetles. They don't bug you much unless you go outside by a light at night and happen to feel a need to breathe some air. These guys are so thick lately that you almost need a filter, but apparently something finds them tasty. These poor beetles were, as you can see, wedged headfirst and while still alive into the space between the window and the frame. Their legs were waving all around to no avail. Notice the perfect spacing!

I'm guessing a chickadee or a tufted titmouse might be the creator of this stash, but I am not sure. Ever seen anything like this?? I will have to check it daily and see if it grows or diminishes. Wonder if they not as good if you let them die....

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting