Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbt3

Berry Preference list

tbt3
17 years ago

I am looking to put in a berry producing shrub in my backyard for the birds in winter. I prefer an evergreen such as a holly, but have not ruled out others. Does anyone have a list in order of preference of berries that are produced? I am most interested in what the birds will like best. I know there are lots of different varieties of hollies, as well as lots of other options, I just need some help

Thanks,

TBT

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Choose something native to the region.

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Even though I'm in southern Ontario (Canada) I still live in the same type of Carolinean Forest as you would have where you live. We plant only native shrubs and mostly those with berries for the birds. You'll just have to check to see if they are also native to your region if you want to keep "regionally native". We have:

Nannyberry(3)
    Arrowood Viburnum (3)
    Serviceberries (3)
    Winterberry (3) *you need male and female plants
    Alternate Leaf Dogwood (1)
    Silky Dogwood (1)
    Mulberry (1)
    Spicebush (dozens but they are not yet mature enough to fruit)

There are also the seed and nut plants that provide birds and other animals food too like American Hazelnut and Redbud shrub/sm. tree.

Here is a webpage from a Virginia Extension Office

You could also call your local exension office and simply ask them for a list of trees and shrubs that offer fruits/foods for wildlife.

Barb

• kelp
    17 years ago

Birds adore the berries of grey dogwood (cornus racemosa). They go quickly though, so you might want to have a few chokeberries (aronia arbutifolia), as their berries will still be around late in the season. That way, they'll survive the winter.

• vonyon
    17 years ago

Any variety of dogwood. Pagoda dogwoods are a big favorite here. This year (about the 4th year, they are loaded with berries. I also have had good luck with elderberry. They grow fast, are loaded with flowers for pollinators and then berries. I also think any kind of viburnum is good. I do not have many takers on the American highbush cranberry, but the plants are gorgeous and the berries probably get eaten by the end of the winter. You could probably grow bayberry down there as an evergreen and inkberry. You will need a male and a female inkberry for berries. Don't forget the evergreens like hemlock and spruce for cover and nesting/roosting spots.

• anninmd
    17 years ago

I have several evergreen hollies.
    Needlepoint hollies: they tend to produce berries every other year, but produce a huge number when they do
    Nellie Stevens: good berry production every year
    Foster: also lots of berries
    Dwarf Burfords: few berries
    I do not have males specifically for any of these but there are small areas of woods nearby, which may or may not have males which help with pollination.

As far as which berries birds like, I have a resident mockingbird who doesn't allow other birds in the yard. He eats some of all of these and nests every year in the Needlepoints.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting