Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
termites-how to resolve with least harm to wildlife?

Posted by loris Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 16:31

DH was digging up a new planting that wasn't doing well to put in a shadier place, and came across an enormous number of termites about 4 feet from the foundation of our house which is wooden.

Don't see how we can just ignore this, but we also don't want to harm the birds, chipmunks, rabbits, dragonflies, lightning bugs, bees, butterflies and other visitors to our yard. Any suggestions of what would be effective and do the least harm to them? I came across one posting on GardenWeb saying the termite baits just attracted more termites.

I'm posting here since I think you'll understand the concerns we have besides just getting rid of the termites.

Thanks. -- Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: termites-how to resolve with least harm to wildlife?

Lori, check with your county extension agent for positive identification (termites and some ants look a lot alike) as well as for recommendations of what to use. This is a serious issue because of the extensive and expensive damage termites can do to your home and the chemicals used are usually pretty potent. Good luck.

o

Thanks Sandy.

o

We had termites, and had to have the full-house treatment. I would highly recommend contacting a termite inspection company that doesn't do the bait method, and get their opinion, and an inspection if it turns out to be termites. A good way to find a local reputable company is to ask realtor friends.

o

Thanks Pianolady.

o

Orange oil termite treatment is a great option that minimizes harm to the surrounding ecosystem.

o

ohbugger,

That sounds interesting, but I didn't find anything impartial that sounded that conclusive. It also sounds like it's for drywood termites which I believe are south of where I am.

Thank you though.

o

One of the best natural ways to kill termites is to attack them at their nest. You can use vinegar, either in its pure form or diluted in a 50/50 mixture with water. Try to pour vinegar every now and then. Repeated applications can be effective in preventing infestations.

o

Thanks JordanWalker.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 17:45

Borax is an ingredient in a lot of termite and carpenter ant treatments. It's applied as a solution to the wood but I would imagine you could sprinkle some old fashioned powdered borax around the mound.

If you want the treatment a popular brand is Boracare.

o

Thanks jcalhoun. It looks like borax is about as safe a chemical for this as I'll find but there are some questions about it's safety around animals. I would probably try vinegar first and go on to borax. Per my husband we don't really have a mound, they're hiding underground and now we''re not quite sure where to get them. It's too bad I didn't know these possibilities when we actually saw some when we were digging planting holes.

Lori

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 22:14

You're welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here