Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_sandy

Repelling or relocating snakes

gardener_sandy
17 years ago

Is there any effective way to repel snakes? I know there are products advertised to keep them away but have heard they don't work. My brother has a large black ratsnake that has decided his back stoop (a concrete slab about 2' off the ground) is a very nice place.

Although they are excellent rodent control critters, this one is very large and really not welcome at the doorstep. I've tried to discourage him from killing it but I'm afraid that's what will end up happening if we can't find a way to persuade it to go someplace else.

If relocation is the answer, what kind of trap and bait should be used and how far away should it be moved? He's in a very rural area so there are plenty of wild places where it can be released without causing problems to other homeowners. If my area wasn't so heavily populated I'd go get it and bring it here. It might help control the nasty voles I've got this year. But that's not an option. I might be run out of the neighborhood if anybody found out! Plus the poor snake might end up being injured or killed by a neighbor or on the road.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Sandy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA