Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitamo

Is this deer scat?

anitamo
16 years ago

Or rabbit scat? Whatever it is, is eating its way through my flower beds. Especially the soloman's seal. Can you tell which one it is?

Here's the nub of just one of the soloman's seal (in front of hosta) it is leaving in its wake:

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Deer.....
    I am very very well acquainted with rabbit....and this ain't it! LOL!
    Linda C

• gardenguru1950
    16 years ago

Poop du Odocoileus virginianus.

Joe

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Time to get some Liquid Fence spray...

• anitamo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is liquid fence the best deer spray to get? I've never had a problem with deer, so I don't know much about the different sprays that are available. Do I spray on the outside of the borders, or each plant? I have a lot of area to cover, so what is the best way to attack this problem?

• anitamo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is liquid fence the best deer spray to get? I've never had a problem with deer, so I don't know much about the different sprays that are available. Do I spray on the outside of the borders, or each plant? I have a lot of area to cover, so what is the best way to attack this problem?

• catherinet
    16 years ago

I'm big on chicken wire fences or wire, otherwise, you're going to be spraying forever.

• rosedoc
    16 years ago

Looks like deer scat to me.

Have you considered using the motion-activated sprinkler called a "Sentry?" I have a couple of acres to protect from deer and they work beautifully! I grow roses and haven't had any deer problems even though there are a lot of deer around. They're a bit spendy up front, but well worth it. "Sentrys" run on a 9-volt battery and you hook the unit up to any garden hose/spigot.

• alan8
    16 years ago

Before you go spending a lot of money, buy 2 bars of Irish Spring Soap, cut them in half and hang all four pieces around the edge of your yard. (It also works just laying on the ground but may melt sooner). Auburn University tested hundreds of deer repellents. This one works on my 4 acre vegetable garden every spring.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction