Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange animal

Posted by rblossom ny (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 19:59

i am not sure what is saw but it had a tail like a rat but the rest looked like a beaver can some one tell me what i saw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange animal

Opossum better know as possum. They do have color variations in their fur.

o

i have seen what possums look like the face of the animal i saw yesterday didnt look like a possum.

o

could be a nutria - looks like a beaver with a rat tail. Lives in wetlands or along streams, rivers

o

Not likely a nutria in NY state. I suggested a muskrat in another forum.

o

rhizo - good point - we do have an excess of nutria out west. However, this site: http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/ansrp/ANSIS/html/myocastor_coypus_nutria.htm shows nutria do exist in New York, so it is not impossible. Muskrat have a slightly different tail and are smaller than nutria. The site listed gives differentiating details between muskrats, nutria, and beaver. Something to think about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here