Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

in desperate need of help, cat killin my wildlife

lisa11310
17 years ago

I have a beautiful cat that is killing all my wildlife. i finally found where it is going. Called a rescue group that is coming to get her and what I though was 8 kittens. Come to find out there are 3 litters there. Most have conjunctivitis and some have respritory problems, we are talking around 20 cats, 3 old enough to be moms. I love cats but not out in the wild or on the streets. MY kitty is inside always> I am sure the rescue lady will not be able to take them all, hubby will divorce me if I take any. Any ideas???

Lisa

Comments (6)

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Lisa,

I am so sorry about that situation, for the cats, the wildlife and for you.

Cat colonies are prone to disease, and kittens in particular are susceptible. Because many people are irresponsible (dumping unwanted animals, allowing unneutered and unspayed cats to wander), it creates a problem that most people, shelters and towns cannot cope with. As long as there are some intact males and females, they will keep reproducing, and then you will really have a problem.

Maintaining a colony, even if some were neutered and released, will not prevent disease and misery for them.

Sadly, the best thing to do is to get help and trap them all and send them to the local humane society. They will determine which are the healthiest and best candidates for adoption.

To leave them or feed them will exacerbate the situation.

I'm sorry.

• bluebirdbabe
    17 years ago

Lisa, what a horrible situation. I feel so bad for the cats and your wildlife. They are always the ones that suffer because of ignorant pet owners. Anyway, there is an organization called Crash's Landing. It is a no kill cat rescue in Grand Rapids. Here is the link: http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/MI275.html

I noticed that they have changed their policy and now only accept cats 6 months or older. They have so many homeless and abandoned cats/kittens. You may want to call them. You may be able to talk her into taking the kittens or she may know of someone that can help you. I know what will happen to the kittens at the animal control. (sometimes I think they are better off than being left alone to try and survive outside)The woman that runs the organization is a vet, she is awesome!

I have 4 cats (all inside) because of stupid pet owners. All were abandoned. Someone dropped off a litter of kittens in the soy bean field across the street from my home. We could only find one of the kittens. My husband brought him home. The other 3 were taken in because they were starving to death. Oh geezz, I wish people would take care of their pets!! I hope you can find someone to help you for the sake of the cats and your wildlife.
    Karen

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Check with your local vet clinics to see if they know of any agency or group that will help. If you don't get a handle on the problem soon, it will only get worse as the kittens grow up and become moms, too.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOW I am amazed, the woman from the cat rescue group came out, she works for a vet. She took ALL the kittens and the Mom cat that has been killing in my yard. She said she would do the very best she could, all the cats will be tested, medicated and rehabed, of course not all of them may be able to be saved. The Mom cat is pretty wild, but SO pretty she said she would really try to see if she could get her adoptable. The lady that had been feeding these cats decided to keep the two older cats, one is 5 yrs old the other is fairly young but she had named it Clara and could not part with her, Clara had 8 kittens. She has promised to get them both fixed and regular vet visits. I know I have saved some beautiful kittens and the wildlife around, but I also know some of those cats will have to be put down. That makes me sad. I know the one thing I have done is stoped a huge population explosion and kittens suffering. So why do I feel bad?
    Lisa

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Lisa, don't feel bad. We often feel like we should save every starfish on the beach but in reality can only save some of them. (Do you know that story?) The "feeling bad" should go to those who left these beautiful animals in such a pitiful state. You deserve a pat on the back for finding someone who can do so much for them.

• axeman
    17 years ago

Its a hard choice out there sometimes. I think you did the best you could for your situation.

You can't save them all but some will have a chance at another life. I went to a shelter a few years ago and brought home Missy Cat, mostly so Mr Spock could have a companion. She was found in a wild nest but has adjusted pretty well, though she mostly ignores other people.

Both my cats stay inside where they can watch the rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, and the wide array of birds in my yard.