Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum dentatum

Posted by htown North Houston (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 23:19

Does anyone grow Viburnum dentatum? I was wondering if any of yall ever see birds or butterflies utilizing this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum dentatum

Yes, over 20 species/varieties/named clones.

Birds nest in these shrubs and immediately consume the wonderful copious blue fruit upon ripening in late summer.

Butterflies and many other insects visit the bounty of flowers as these plants bloom through May here in KY.

Peruse the many threads on this forum about V. dentatum, arrowwood, for much more detailed information.

o

I have arrowwood, and I've never seen a ripe berry :) Butterflies don't seem to be a major pollinator, but the smaller fry love the flowers.

o

I have arrowood too I have seen berries they were on the tree for a while I saew some green berries today but that was on the blackhaw viburnum prunifolium I will check tomorrow. Sarah

o

I have one large shrub in the middle of a row of grey dogwood. They're in an eastern exposure up against a brick garage wall that's covered in Virginia creeper. In natural areas around here the two species grow together, but my placing them that way was pure serendipity--I didn't know they were companions when I planted them, probably didn't know there was such a thing as companions. The arrowwood holds its own against the rather assertive dogwood.

The berries ripen at the same time as the grey dogwood, and every single one disappears immediately, just like the dogwood berries.

o

Talk about raising the dead........I have lost all and I mean all my dentatums due to viburnum leaf beatle. It took two years and many different opinions to id the problem by then it was too late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here