Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_inthewoods

Ilex verticillata in light shade?

Melissa_InTheWoods
20 years ago

I'd really like to pick up some ilex verticillata (winterberry) at the plant sale coming up, I see that they want full sun or part shade. Has anyone ever grown them in light shade? I was just wondering if it would do okay.

Comments (19)

• roseunhip
    20 years ago

Mine seem to be doing fine (fruits) in the light shade, then full sun from +/- 4PM on. But I am not sure if, for the fruits (a winter decorative feature of this plant + for the birds), the part shade to full sun is a prerequisite or not.
    You might know this, but you need at least one male plant and one female one for fruit production.

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the info roseunhip, i've learned that part shade and light shade are often the same with some plants but that really does vary depending on the plant. I wanted to make sure before I spent lots of money on these. Yes, I did know that I would need male and female plants but I do appreciate your making sure :)

They are listing "apollo" (male) and "winter red" (female) plus the straight species. I'm really thinking of getting one of each to just see how they do. I appreciate your help :)

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Mine get some shade also and fruit just fine. But I would really call it mostly sun with alittle shade in the late afternoon. The Nursery were I bought all my plants has them in shade under some very large trees. I have never seen the sun on them but the lady there said that they do get some sun in the morning. The plants there flower and fruit just fine.

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks newyorkrita, I have some dappled light shade in the back and I might try them there. I'm really looking forward to seeing them in the winter.. if the animals let the berries alone for that long, they seem to even be eating green berries sometimes these days.. go figure!

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oh thanks so much for checking newyorkrita! That makes me very happy! I just finished clearing out a nice area up the driveway (removed exotics..). Now I just need to figure out where I want to put what :)

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Try the combination of Ferns and Winterberries. Looks great!

• firstautumnjoy
    20 years ago

Ilex verticillata grows in deep, wet shade in our woodland. When the leaves come off the shrubs and trees that block the Ilex from the view during the summer all we see back there is a mass of red from the berries. It's beautiful when the angle of the sun is just right - it shines.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

I did my last nursery buying stop at the local East End Long Island Nursery were I bought my Winterberry shrubs and was just amazed at the display of the Winterberry shrubs covered in red berries. This was the grouping I was looking at in my July 31st posting on this thread. But what a difference almost two months make. The Winterberries are so loaded down with fruit that some of the branches are bending over. Of course these are the ones in the sunnier spot, as the ones in total shade still had greenish berries. The berries were large, bright red, and just awesome.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

Winterberies look great with all leaves dropped so I can really see the red berries. So far nothing seems to be eating them. But I guess we need some really cold weather to soften them up.

• newyorkrita
    20 years ago

The winterberiey shrubs look so bleak and lonely with bare branches and those lovely berries all gone, long since eaten by the hungry birds.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Lots of Blossoms set on the Winterberries. Hope to get a good fruit set once they open.

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mine are actually getting ready to bloom! They did well in the shade, though nobody was fond of the berries ;(

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

I am surprised the birds didn't eat the berries. All of my Red Sprites have gotten their berries eaten in the past two years. I do have an 'Afterglow' Winterbery in another part of the yard and those berries were ignored, much to my surprise. Maybe Red Sprite tastes beter!

• terryr
    19 years ago

Melissa, I planted mine late last year, no foliage but lots of berries. The birds all ignored them. I was told that the birds just hadn't found them yet, to give them time. I hope to still be here this fall and winter to watch if anything and what, eats the berries.
    Terry

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

Mockingbirds love Winterberries around here.

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Maybe that is my problem, I don't have mockingbirds here in the woods. Cardinals are the big berry eaters here, as well as some of the titmice and chickadees. The winterberries are loaded, and are just barely showing signs of turning red. I hope that someone (other than me) will find them appealing this winter. :)

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Does anybody know where I can find a good size Ilex verticillata in Chicago area other than a 1 gallon size from Forestfarm?

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

My Winterberries are just leafing out now.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions