Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Why is there a dead crayfish in my basement window well

paulsiu
13 years ago

I return from vacation to find a dead crayfish in my window well. I do live somewhat near the water, but not that near. How did the crayfish get there, perhaps a bird drop it or something?

Paul

Comments (11)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

They will wander around out of the water.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Before the disease wiped out all of the toads we would occasionally have a toad or other creature in our window wells. There is no reason that a crayfish would not fall in but many can burrow into the dirt. I did have flat thin boards propped up in my window wells so that anything that fell in could climb out. You would not want to use a board that is heavy enough to break a window just wide enough for a nimble creature to walk or hop on.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Took a wrong turn on his way back to New Orleans??? :)

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I realized that crayfish sometimes wander out of the water, but it's like 100 feet from the water and the window well has a raise ridge,so the crayfish will have to climb a foot.

I do get a lot of toads falling into the well. I fish them out and put them in the area of the garden that I have bug problems. A rather large toad lives underneath the central air unit. I have to mow the lawn carefully.

If I put a piece of lumber in the well, would the toads be able to climb out? Do I need to use a rough tree branch.

Paul

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I've had crawfish in my yard, an its at least 100' from the creek, so they could even be living your yard. Maybe something like a coon or a cat took it there to eat?
    Paul.....toads and frogs can jump out of really tall areas. But if you're worried (and they're really small), I'd just put a thick branch for them to climb out on. That's what I do in my little water garden. But I've seen them just spring out of the water on their own!

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

The dead toad bodies I have found in the window wells were fround in the spring. Probably dug a burrow for the winter then did not have enough strength to jump the almost 3 ft to get out. Of course this was also about the time all of them died off so not certain the ones I found were healthy to begin with. But now they have a way to climb out.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am constantly removing toads from my window well. I do not mind this, but the toads are really hard to spot.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Why can't you fit some screening over the well so that the critters can fall in?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

....so that critters CAN'T fall in.....

;-)

• nosambos
    13 years ago

Way back when I was in Ag school at Ohio State some of the farmer/students told me that they could find crayfish in the middle of a cleared field. I thought that they were pulling my leg until I actually found some myself in a corn field. Turns out crayfish can follow and underground stream and burrow up to the surface whereever. Your observation is not unusual.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have a screen, but they somehow still fall through. I guess I need to replace the screen with a finer one. My neighbor has plexiglass screen, which seemed like a better idea.

Paul