Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

honeybees vs hummers

dirtgirl
16 years ago

Things are bad here, very bad. We have had no measurable precipitation for well over a month , and the temperature has been between 100 and 110 for 6 days now with the rest of the week to come being much the same. The hummers are trying to do the best they can but there is simply nothing flowering, no honeysuckle, no trumpet creeper. The jewelweed they depend on so much toward migration time is simply not there, it's dead. I have five feeders out and the battles over possession rage daily between the haves and the have nots.

In the last five days there has been a new twist added to the story...the honeybees have taken over as their larders have dried up as well. Two feeders are literally covered during the day except the peak heat hours when really everything stops moving. I figured at first that the hummers would assert themselves, but I have seen the bees drive them away over and over. I myself have a past history of bee allergy so I try to tread lightly in the yard especially while watering. More than once I have stepped out to slip my garden shoes on just to notice at the last minute that there are bees in the footbed trying to get the last of the moisture. I don't want to hurt them and I don't want to test my allergy either.

Is there anything I can do to rememdy the situation...if I put out a puddler area for the bees, won't they just use it in addition to the feeders? I guess I can only try it and see what happens.

Comments (13)

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

I read that wasps will avoid an area that has vinegar on it. I took paper towels soaked in vinegar and wraped it around the feeder. They did avoid the feeder but only till the vinegar had dried. I also put out a few jar lids with nectar in them away from the feeder and this did help a little. Watermelon rinds or any kind of fruit will help too.
    I have heard that bananas will actract fruit flys that the hummers will come eat, havent tried it yet. I will pray you get some rain soon.

• ankraras
    16 years ago

I probably would try a small amount of store bought honey diluted with water in a small bowl and set it near by the feeder to see if that might help.

• Bert31
    16 years ago

Have not tried it but over on the Hummingbird forum, it was suggested to set out a stronger solution of hummingbird food away from the feeder and the bees will go to the sweeter solution. Are you sure they are honey bees and not a wasp. Over the last week, out here in NJ the Wasps have been getting very active.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

I use soaker hoses and various salvias to feed my hummingbirds. The neighbors have some 3-foot high red-flowering plants that really take the drought. I don't know what they are, but the scarlet flowers are sort of swirled balloons. The hummers like those.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

I would put out more feeders. If they are red, the hummers will find them quickly. Something that has worked for me, is to move the feeder for a bit, as little as a few feet. The insects moved on, and eventually I moved it back. However, I never had a large amount of bees. This trick hasn't worked for everyone, either. Back to the more feeders idea. Bees aren't my favorite without an allergy, but aren't they dying off? So, feeding both might be beneficial anyways. Just my thoughts. Also, for another place to post hummer questions.......

Christy :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Hummingbird Forum

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Hello Dirtgirl
    Not sure if this would help...
    I keep honeybees, this Oriole feeder with bee guard keeps them away.
    Also, make sure your feeder is mostly in a shaded area, honeybees don't like to go there.
    Konrad

{{gwi:431304}}

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello again. Thanks for all the responses. I would have gotten back to you sooner but my husband had an accident at work and this week the hummers were rather on autopilot.

There are some good ideas here...I was smacking my forehead about the honey suggestion. That sounds like the most obvious solution, wish I had thought of that one myself. I still have yet to try it but honey is on my list next time I'm at the store. I did try fruit and they totally ignored it. I don't recall ever having a problem with honeybees, but I AM surprised that they are this possessive.
    Konrad, as usual I am writhing in photo-envy agony. You and several others on the forums are certainly gifted shutterbugs. I like the thought of an oriole feeder, but the problem is that these bees aren't just at the feeding ports. No matter how tightly I keep the feeders screwed together, they still congregate at the threads, the ports, the seams...anywhere there is even a TRACE of moisture. And yes, they are honeybees and not the usual metallic bees or small wasps. In fact, I am seeing very little of the usual wasps/bees and I think the honeybees are driving them away as well.
    We are supposed to get a bit of rain this afternoon (believe it when I see it) and I wonder if that will help. Only problem now is that many of the flowering plants have not simply aborted their blooms, they are dead altogether at the crowns so there won't be much of a sudden flush of blooms once the rain does finally fall.
    It's bad enough that some large animal/animals are coming up to the house at night and draining my birdbath. I suspect deer but I have yet to actually see it so who knows. That's the only source of fresh water now unless you walk to the neighbor's pond, about 2/3 of a mile.

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Thank you DG!
    I hope things have settled and your husband is doing fine.
    Konrad

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Konrad, that's kind of you. We got off lucky this time...the accident could have been MUCH worse.

THe drought situation is no better. We did have a shower of less than a tenth of an inch last night, which was frustrating since it was a well organized weather event right up to the point where it crossed the river into Illinois. Then it just evaporated. TO be hearing about flooding and loss of life just a few states away while everything here is dead and brown and suffering is terribly ironic.
    Something interesting and mysterious has happened with the hummer situation. The honeybees just vanished one day. THey went from dozens at each feeder to absolutely nothing in a day's time. I don't know where the hive was or I'd go have a good look around. Perhaps even with the hummingbird nectar there was simply not enough food available and they abandoned ship, but they'd have to travel a heckuva long way to find better conditions. I also wonder if hive collapse syndrome is happening here like it is in other parts of the country and if so, if it may have played a part in their sudden leaving. Guess I'll never know.

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

>>I also wonder if hive collapse syndrome is happening here like it is in other parts of the country and if so, if it may have played a part in their sudden leaving. Guess I'll never know.We have this phenomena here too, nobody really knows why, it happens more to large operations, my theory is, some hives are put on farms, where they get too much of one thing, nectar and pollen, my hives are away from those large fields and feed manly on other food sources, like many weeds and wild clover etc., it makes a nicer honey this way too!...So get your honey from a small bee keeper! It's also better for you, it's raw, unheated honey, the good stuff, like enzymes and pollen still there!

For instance, if honey bees are getting too much nectar from Canola, honey they store for winter is no good, most bees will starve because it crystallizes so hard, bees can't process it in winter when cold, the honey is too hard!
    Bee keepers have to take most of it out and feed them with sugar water before freeze up.
    About your bees....
    I suspect they have found a good "natural" nectar source, when this happens, you can't entice them with sugar water.
    Konrad

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The first time I tried "raw" honey I was amazed at the difference.
    Like one day having fresh garden green beans after only ever having had the canned , store-bought variety. What we are missing!!
    I do hope you are right about the bees leaving after finding an alternative.

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

I grow red or scarlet salvia for the hummingbirds, which would be an annual for you, but it reseeds very readily. The hummingbirds love it and if you keep pinching off the stalks the will get 3 feet tall and wide in one season. I also grow zinnias and they are really drought tolerant and the hummers like them too.

I also have lots of plates and platters of water placed around my yard and near flowers for the bees to get a drink but I keep them shallow with something in the middle so they can crawl out if they fall in.

Konrad, I have been thinking the same thing as you about the honey bees. Bee keepers move their hives from one field to another but I am wondering if honeybees are getting enough of the naturally growing stuff in their diets, like herbs, wildflowers, tree pollen. Many of the crops grown today are hybrids and genetically engineered and I am thinking they aren't as nutritious for the bees (and probably not for us either).

• loomis
    16 years ago

I had the same problem with yellow jackets. An earlier post suggested adding a separate dish near the feeder. I did exactly that. I filled a shallow container with sugar and added enough water to make a thick, syrupy solution. Most of the yellow jackets flocked to the stronger solution and left the feeder. Only a few remained, leaving enough time for the hummers to return and feed uninterrupted.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022