Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat friendly garden

Posted by Kalyke 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 0:50

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I've been trying to plant a pet friendly vegetable and flower garden, fencing off plants that aren't entirely safe for animals and giving them free access to everything else. We have cats & dogs, along with the normal wildlife - birds, hummingbirds, bees, the occasional squirrel. The neighborhood cats, in particular, get into whatever plants they can reach. My question is this: if I put a few watermelon plants in the front yard, are the vines safe for the cats to play in? Watermelon isn't toxic, but neither is pumpkin, and pumpkin vines are full of stickers. I'd really like some quick, dense foliage they can play in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat friendly garden

Reconsider attracting birds to a garden that you know has cats roaming in it.

o
RE: Cat friendly garden

I have cats and birds, but I provide lots of thick shrubs and small fruit trees, along with big shrub roses and herbs to give the birds some 'cover'.

Cats like catmint, which will grow very well by squashes and melons. Along with radishes, catmint is supposed to bring in beneficial pollinators and help discourage 'bad' bugs. The kitties will probably enjoy it, too.

If you don't want the cats too silly, don't break the catmint. Once the branches break, the cats can get a bit carried away and actually kill the plant.

My cats also like pathways through the garden. They make them, themselves, often between the rose bushes and the herbs I have growing in front of the, to discourage the deer. Any cool, shady spot is fun for kitty, too :)

Oh, and there are lists of toxic plants for cats, dogs and horses on the Internet. I'd consult that, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here