Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Please talk to me about Viburnum

lovefornature
16 years ago

I googled this plant/shrub/tree because so many people here are talking about it being wonderful for birds.

Unfortunately, I did not see many pictures because there are so very many different kinds.

One site mentioned that it does need a partner to fruit? Is this true?

Sites also mentioned that they can be purchased anywhere from 2 ft. up.

I am looking for one that grows about 4-5 feet tall. I need it to find one that blends in nicely with purple coneflowers, black eyed susans, shasta daisies, and white swan coneflowers.

It will be on the far corner of my deck next to the stairs in full sun. The coneflowers sit in front of the deck from one end to the other (about 20-25 feet).

Any ideas?

Thanks so much :)

Comments (13)

• loris
    16 years ago

I haven't grown it myself, but had been thinking about Viburnum acerifolium (mapleleaf viburnum). Usually on the site I'm linking to below, if a pollinator is needed for berries they mention it under the liabilities section. Maybe somebody can confirm this. The height is listed as 4'-6'.

Here is a link that might be useful: UConn Plant DB on Viburnum acerifolium

• terryr
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest the mapleleaf viburnum, but they like a more shaded spot than where coneflowers, etc like. I was told that the indigenous species don't need another to pollinate, but if you have two, from different sources, then it would increase the berry production. The mapleleaf is the only one I know of that stays that small and gets berries. I know that some viburnums say they're dwarf and then you situate them and they're not. For instance, the tag on my blue muffin that I planted 2 yrs ago says 5', but it's already over 6' and still growing.

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

I have several types of Viburnum... lets see:

Viburnum lentago (Nannyberry) Large blueberry-like berries that birds go crazy for. Not sure if they need a mate b/c I have 4 of them and never bothered to ask.

Viburnum trilobum (Highbush Cranberry) Don't think it needs a mate but note that birds won't eat the berries until they have had several freeze-thaw periods over winter to sweeten the berries. Before that they are unpallitable to the birds and most people don't realize this and think it's not a good bird-bush.

Viburnum dentatum (Arrowood viburnum) Nice and compact...might be what fits your bill best. Has small blue-berry like berries late spring, early summer and the birds will strip them quickly once they start to ripen. Again don't know for sure if they need a mate as I have 3.

Don't leave out your dogwoods though. They are prolific berry producers and the birds strip them quickly too.

I have "Alternate Leaf Dogwood", "Silky Dogwood", "Red Osier Dogwood" and then a dogwood relative "Bunchberry" which is a low growing shrubby plant with red berries.

Something fun to look forward to is to apply to list your native area as a "Wildlife Habitat". You can apply for listing with the "National Wildlife Federation", the "Natural Resources Conservation Service", and for me, being a Cannuck, I'm certified with the "Canadian Wildlife Federation". It's a fun project to work towards because they not only look for your native plant/shrub/tree contribution but also for all manner of things that make up a habitat such as scrub piles for bird safety and housing, water sources (bird baths, ponds etc), nesting (boxes or plantlife conducive to successful nesting), non-use of pesticides and other chemicals and so on. You will see what they look for when you download their application forms. I received a beautiful 8x8" colour, metal plaque that says "Certified Backyard Habitat" and a diploma-style certification and recognition of the hard work put into the backyard habitat. I did send a whole whack of photos to show all the species that I've planted in the past three years to build up our existing native woodland and explained which non-native, alien invasives I removed by hand, and why. It's a great project and each time I look at the plaque and certificate, I feel quite proud of myself since I've only been doing native gardening for just under 3 years.

Glad you made the decision to make a native space on your property. :o) Have fun with it.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• loris
    16 years ago

I know Barb is very knowledgeable, so I have a feeling she missed the part that you needed a plant only 4-5 feet tall. I'm further south than both of you, but I suspect there's not that much variation in height.

Lori

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

LOL..Lori, you are funny...no I didn't miss the part about the 4-5 feet tall but you'd be hard pressed to find such a sized shrub with edible berries. That's why I suggested the Arrowood Viburnum because of all the viburnums it is the one that will stay the smallest. The highbush cran, nannyberry etc.. will all grow to 10x10 or there abouts but can be controlled with careful pruning for 10 or more years to keep it to the size specification lovefornature requested. The only other shrub that might fit the size bill is Fothergilla gardenii but I'm not sure if it gets berries or just seeds. I think it's a native to the south east of the USA but don't quote me on that. All's I know is that it's almost impossible for me to get one up here in southern Ontario, CANADA. I don't know of any other berry producers that fit the bill for 5' shrubs...sorry but I would just pick what you like, prune it back and you should be able to keep it to your desired size for about 10 years at which time you'd have to remove it, give it away or compost it and replace it with a new baby again. It's not much work if you only have to do it once every 10 years. Watch your species though. Some shrubs only grow flowers on the previous year's growth so you may deplete the number of berries by pruning.

Just an afterthought, what about Blueberry bushes or growing grapes on trellises or obelisks? Blueberry bushes turn nice colours in the autumn and grapes are a fave of some birds and would look very nice on either trellis or obelisk.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• loris
    16 years ago

It's probably a good idea to point out when a recommendation doesn't exactly match a request for information.

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb. Thanks for all of the recommendations.

Blueberry sounds interesting. Will it grow on a trellis? You can tell here how stupid I am on gardening, but I am very new to all of this. I am assuming that birds like blueberries. What kind of blueberry would be the best?

And to think, when I purchased this home in 1994 (it is almost a 1 acre lot), I had a peach, cherry, pear and apple tree. The apple and pear, DH cut down, made me so mad (just because he did not want to mow around them). The cherry and peach died, the cherry I am not sure why, the peach overbeared one year and I wasn't smart enough to realize that I should have removed some of the fruit. I also had wild onions, a wild grape vine, garlic, strawberries, ruhbarb (sp). DH removed them all without asking me. Also had some kind of beautiful minature red rose climber and peonies, oh and a clematis. All gone. BUT, just this year I noticed 1 sprig of the rose coming back up from the ground, so I put fencing around it and it will not be touched (what a miracle). And I still keep looking for just one little wild onion that might be growing up from the mowed yard, hoping I can start my little patch again.

Thank you again!!

• terryr
    16 years ago

I don't understand what benefit pruning off 3 ft or more of growth on a viburnum would be? You need to get flowers to get berries and if you're cutting it down, when would you get flowers? I bought a bare-root little twig of a Viburnum dentatum a year ago last spring. It's already over 3 ft tall. They're supposed to be 10' tall and 8' wide. I'd find something that can be that size and just let it grow naturally.

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

Maple leaf viburnum will not survive full sun - It will burn up - V. dentanum will do well so will V.lentigo - I would go with the dentanum or arrowwood.

• terryr
    16 years ago

If you go with a blueberry bush, it wants and needs acidic soil. Vaccinium corymbosum (Highbush blueberry) is one that I've grown, but my soil isn't acidic in this house, so I can't grow it ;(

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Darn it, so much for the blueberry bush. I may just choose clematis and forget about trying to find something to grow there. It sounds as if nothing is really appropriate for the space. I have a nice trellis I can put there for the clematis.

On the good side though, I do plan on getting a serviceberry and dogwood next year :)

Thanks for everyone who tried to help me :)

• laurabs
    16 years ago

Wayside catalog has a dwarf blueberry bush that does not need a pollinator. It's Vaccinium 'Sunshine Blue.'

It looks like a cute one. Height 3-4 feet, width 3-4 feet. Zone 5 (with protection) - 9. Early summer. Sun.

• docmom_gw
    16 years ago

Virginia Creeper isn't a shrub, but it will grow very well on a trellis and produces berries that birds love. It grows just about anywhere and it is native. It is also a climber that is easy to control and won't damage structures or other plants it might use for climbing. I have some growing in a hot sunny spot with cone flowers. This summer has been horribly hot and dry--to the point where the cone flowers are shriveled--but the Virginia Creeper is happy as can be.

Martha

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets