Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nyger seed and the plant it comes from

Posted by ghoghunter Zone6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 8:21

Has anyone had their Nyger seed sprout? I was reading about the plant the seed comes from. It is called Guizotia abyssinica and it get pretty yellow daisy like flowers. I've never seen it myself but wondered if it would grow in Zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nyger seed and the plant it comes from

Nyjer is a non-native plant. As such it really shouldn't be sown out-of-doors in that it may compete with native plants. Nyjer seed is imported and heat treated to not germinate. There is some good info. at the link I've provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nyjer Seed

o

Thanks for the response and the web link! I see now that it is considered a weed. That's too bad because the flower looked so pretty and I was thinking how much cheaper it would be to grow it myself!!! I was just outside trying to fix the brand new feeder I bought for the seed and already the squirrels have tried to rip it apart! They are such pests at my feeder. I don't mind them eating but I wish they wouldn't destroy things in the process!!
Joann

o

Here in New England people call nyjer "thistle", which seems a little strange to me, because it's not the seed of thistle plants. I've heard that nyjer seed is expensive and that it spoils relatively quickly, but that the Finches love it.

I don't feed nyjer, but I put black oil sunflower seed in a couple of small feeders, and these attract plenty of House finches, Goldfinches, and Purple finches, as well as other birds.

o

terrene, you'd be surprised at the number of people who have always called it thistle and think it comes from thistle plants. I cannot feed BOSS because of HOSP. They seem to love the stuff. Nyjer keeps well in the freezer. The Gold finches and House finches eat it pretty fast here.

o

The nyjer/nyger seed I buy for our goldfinches sprouts like mad in an uncultivated corner of the garden. I'm waiting to see what it's like when fully grown. At the moment it is just a lot of large, green leaves.

o

One year I could swear they sprouted ... but our season is not long enough to mature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here