Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catfish in garden pond

Posted by skunkdoc VA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 8:54

I have a garden pond that is 4000 gallons. I have koi and goldfish and native minnows and 2 brown bullheads that are 3 years old that I have had since they were fingerlings. One is 14" the other 13" long. Recently both catfish have developed red like sores or wounds on the back near base of tail. Did they do this on rocks? The koi are new as of 3 months ago would they do it? It's not ich. Is it fungal? None if the other fish show this. Looking for answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catfish in garden pond

This is an older thread and I hope the fish are healed by now. We had a koi pond with bullheads in it. Red sores are usually bacterial infections and not fungal. But fungus can attach later. My guess is that the bullheads who like to stay on the bottom of the pond are exposed to more pond debris. We put in a bottom drain attached to a filter pond to keep the pond floor clean and keep the water circulated. We also did not keep rocks in the pond because it was too hard to keep clean when the debris collected under it. For the new house my hubby will not let me put in another pond because he had to fill the old one in when we sold our house. Nobody would buy it wilh a large Koi pond in the backyard. :(

o
RE: Catfish in garden pond

take a picture of the red sores and bring to a reptuble pond/fish store.

They should be able to tell you what's going on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here