Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curious what kind of Animal Poop this is???

Posted by terrene MA USA 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 20, 06 at 9:40

I live in a suburb of Boston, about 20 miles outside the city. It is not densely developed here and there are farmlands and woodlands is this area. I see deer, coyotes, rabbits, possums, raccoons etc. pretty regularly.

The back of my lot is pretty wild and overgrown (mostly with invasives, unfortunately). I found this pile of poop back there last week. It is a fairly large pile, about six inches across. Any idea what animal made this excrement? Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curious what kind of Animal Poop this is???

Not sure, but you can look on this website. Could this be a dog that didn't feel too good?

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Scat

o

Could be a "sick" animal...most often with some pathogen like GIARDIA which can be transferred to humans or pets through contact. Obviously you aren't going to touch it on purpose but just be wary that sickness is a distinct possibility esp. if you have any pets that also access this area. Our dog had Giardia and it's something you don't wish on your WORST enemy. If pets are sniffing around or even eating animal excrement they are in a position to get diseases carried in the intestinal tract of wild animals. I would be inclined to take a shovel out there and cover over it with fresh soil IF you have a pet who roams in the area.

Barb

o

Likely raccoon or oppossum. knottyceltic is right--NEVER touch scat, regardless of who or what left it. If you must remove it, use a plastic bag and dispose, or bury it somewhere that you won't be digging or gardening.
BlueBars

o

Thanks all - looks like this might be from an animal with a GI problem - and thanks for the warning about not making contact with animal scat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here