Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshah_gw

Tree Frogs in the hot tub

marshah
18 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas about how to keep tree frogs out of a hot tub? This isn't my problem, but a friend's. She doesn't want to kill them, but she's squeamish about them perching over her shoulder while she's in the tub. Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks...

Comments (28)

• hornedone
    18 years ago

Tell your friend to give the frogs 30 day eviction notice.
    ha ha.

• RodeoSquirrel
    18 years ago

are they wearing little tiny bikini's or in the buff?
    im a frog lover so id be hot tubbin with the froggy's happily :o)
    i really wouldnt know how to chase them away but maybe your friend can look at them for their beauty, and they do help with mosquitos and other nasty bugs that are around.
    ive never owned a hot tub but cant it be covered or something?

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

any idea of what species? build them their own kiddie pool?

• RodeoSquirrel
    18 years ago

oh man they are being killed? oh thats terrible, not to mention gross if your fishing out dead frogs.
    maybe put up one of those deer fence nettings around the spa area?

• madtripper
    18 years ago

I assume that she is using the hot ub at night, since that is when the frogs are active. Does she have lights in the tub?

I have tree frogs hanging around the house. At night they migrate to windows that have lights on inside the house. They sit on the window and wait for bugs to come to the light.

• juliekinney
    17 years ago

I had the same problem with our Hot tub. I found that if you spray a mixture of saltwater around the top and sides of the top tub they will not come back. Hope it works for you. This does not hurt the frogs.

• marshah
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, juliekinney. I've passed your suggestion on to my friend, and she's going to give it a try.

• vonyon
    17 years ago

Julie, Where did you get the info on the salt water? Just playing devil's advocate here, but I find it hard to believe that it doesn't hurt them. I would think the salt would draw the moisture from their skin as that is what salt does. Hmmm. Maybe Marsha could try shutting the lights off first.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

exclusion is the key...sounds like the hot tub in question is open air and not in a gazebo or anything. I was going to suggest screening in the place or something along those lines but if it's out in the open with just a pull-off cover then the frogs are probably hiding out during the day right there next to what they see as a source of lights and water, big draws for tree frogs.
    This is a tough one. Even if you could ease your friend into seeing the value and beauty of her tub phibs, they are still going to be right there, bailing off into a killing vat.

We have to be careful flushing the toilets here when it gets hot and dry during the summer months. There is usually a frog under the rim just above the water...they climb down the vents to what they see as their own little oasis.

best of luck in finding a remedy for this one.

• marshah
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, it's a challenge all right. My friend has nothing against the frogs, and it does upset her to watch them commit their own version of hara-kiri. I think she'll try the salt water spray treatment and turning lights off before considering the more expensive alternative of building a gazebo around the tub. I don't think the salt water will hurt the frogs as long as they're not being sprayed directly, and mixing the salt with water wouldn't be as harmful as throwing pure salt on them -- as some have done with slugs. She could hose the little critters down with plain water first to remove them before treatment. It's worth a try, and can't be any more harmful to them than what they are doing to themselves. Thanks for all the interest and helpful suggestions after such a long hiatus... (Tree frogs in the toilets, dirtgirl? You must have some REALLY dry summers.)

• bensondl
    15 years ago

Did the saltwater work? We have the same problem this year for some reason (first time in 15 years). We've moved close to 100 frogs out! The hot tub has a rounded edge so the frogs crawl under the cove of it. Cute little buggers but we want a hot tub not a terrareum. We haven't had any problem with dead ones.

• Blondero_live_com
    13 years ago

I have the same problem. They leave a huge mess of frog poop at the bottom of the hot tub...I have drained and scrubbed and refilled and they come back and mess it up again. I've had the hot tub for 6 years and this is the first winter with the problem. I keep the temp at 104 but the heat doesn't bother them. I am so tired of this am
    Nd afraid to get in as it seems unsanitary with droppings in there.

• cjgaucher_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, I have been dealing with this for over a year now. We have a hot tub (5'x5') with a folding cover and lift. Seems they get in through the seams of the cover in the middle. I do find a dead one (or parts of a dead one) floating around and have to then clean out the tub and re-fill it. Only thing that has worked thus far is cutting a lime in half and rubbing it along the perimeter of the tub. This only lasts for a few days....then guess what??? I got to the point of draining the tub and keeping it empty until I can find a more sustainable solution. Anyone else have any ideas? Some floating netting to put between the water and cover??

• loball1
    12 years ago

Is this an epidemic? We've had our hot tub for three years, but have only been battling the frogs for the last several months. I haven't killed or harmed any of them... they do it themselves. We have an expensive, insulated cover, but it doesn't keep them out. So far, I've chased out dozens of frogs, cleaned up hundreds of frog turds (which are amazingly large compared to their body size), and fished half a dozen decomposing frog bodies out. We have lights, but never use them. It's part of the problem, actually. I can't stand the thought of going out there in the dark and sliding on frog feces to get in or sitting on a squishy frog body in my au naturale. So the hot tub is largely unused these days. It's a pretty expensive frog pond/abattoir. I will try the lime method, or the salt if the lime fails, and report back. Crossing fingers...

• klmull85
    10 years ago

Has anyone come up with a solution for the frogs taking over the hot tub??? Does it help to relocate the little darlings?

• jollymon50
    9 years ago

We empty our hot tub in May to start up the pool and we have even more of a problem with the hot tub empty than we do with it full. They make a terrible mess in the thing, so I have to spray a diluted solution of bleach on the tub after removing their mess. Getting pretty tired of these little buggars. I'll sure try the lime on the edge method, surely something has to make them leave my favorite toy alone!!

• s8us89ds
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bird netting is cheap. Frogs surely can't get through it.

• jollymon50
    8 years ago

Lime doesn't work with my tree frogs! I tried it, rubbed the stuff all around the top of my empty hot tub and they are still in there!! Where do you get bird netting?? That's next!

• blheitski
    8 years ago

We have a cover on and no lights. We have found a couple of dead frogs in our tub this month, but not in the past . Looking for a solution.

• paparon15
    8 years ago

I think you should get some gasoline and pour it around, like a ring, and throw a match to it. And if you want to get real fancy you can put some fire glass too!

• Sue Lyman
    7 years ago

I've had the frog problem for years, whether the spa was full or empty. Seems the frogs like protection. Only thing I can do is prop the folding cover up on a ledge so they are not protected. I've tried coffee, lime etc. nothing worked. Now I'm selling my house and would like to get rid of them for good. Any help would be appreciated.

• Joe Ringer
    6 years ago

I solved the frogs in the hot tub problem by making a large rubber band from a piece of 1/4 inch nylon rope and a bungie cord and then slipping that over the cover flaps. No more frogs!!!

• Sue Lyman
    6 years ago

I had that problem for years and tried all of the above except the rubber band trick - coffee, lime juice, salt water, etc. Finally left the cover off, which worked, but as soon as I put it back on the frogs came back to have their babies. Finally, I drained the hot tub and left the top off. Later, I sold the house and will not have another hot tub.

• Michael Fitzgerald
    3 years ago

Bed Mosquito netting and a large cargo rubber band should do the trick

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ID7E7B4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_UO4REbYVB7DN1

• Dana Holliday
    3 years ago

I am having the same issues with the frogs, usually one or two. Lurks in the crack of hot tub lid. Scares the crap out of me when I remove the lid. I relocate them

but they seem to find their eay back or it's their friend.

• Sandy Adolphs
    2 years ago

We have a large population of tree frogs in our neighborhood. For 9 years I battled them in the tub. Last summer I started plugging the seam gab on both sides with plastic grocery bags. It takes fairly thick bags. You need at least four. Put on either side of the dividing cushion. Stuff up tight. Replace bags with fresh occasionally. Nine times out of ten I have no frogs in tub on opening. Occasionally, if I don't check for the little buggers on closing, I will get one.

• Kylie Haase
    7 months ago

This thread started 18 years ago, wow! This is the first time I've searched for solutions, will try the salt and water one. No problems when the lid is on, just when I'm using it they creep up the sides. They're super cute but I don't want them to commit frogicide.

They're

They're

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting