Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attracting skinks, ribbon sknakes and gray squirrels

Posted by naturewatcher TX gulf coast (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 11:43

I am new to the forum. I've frequented the butterfly forum in the past but I'm wanting to focus on attracting more types of wildlife.

Last year, while working in my garden I saw what I think was a five lined skink. At first it looked like a small snake, but then I noticed some very tiny legs and feet. It was slower moving than the skinks I've seen in the woods.

I also saw a ribbon snake poking it's little head out of some violets.

I have not seen either of these critters a second time.

Then, last spring, I had a new visitor....a gray squirrel. He stayed for a few weeks and left. I think he was having trouble competing with all the fox squirrels in my area.

My question is this:

What are some things I can do to encourage these three visitors to stay around my yard? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attracting skinks, ribbon sknakes and gray squirrels

hi nature, I have squirrels galore cuz I have food and water and shelter in my yard. You can plant berry producing shrubs, put out bird baths for water, certainly a squirrel feeder and bird feeder. You could also provide squirrel nesting boxes. As for skinks and snakes, I will let someone else comment on them but I believe they love stones and logs. I have a snake that comes to my garden every couple of days from the field across the street to hunt for lizards. Check out National Wildlife web site and look at the back yard habitat link.

michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here