Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone in MA have black squirrels yet?

Posted by Sully4 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 12:57

I have both red and gray squirrels but no black ones. I have seen them in Canada many times but heard they are now in New England. Anyone have them showing up at their house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone in MA have black squirrels yet?

Black squirrels in most areas are not a separate species, but a common mutation of the gray squirrel - they are melanistic, which means they have more pigment than normal. In some areas, the black squirrels come to outnumber or equal the gray, especially if the population was artificially increased by university experiments (as near Kent State in Ohio). There are parts of Ohio and DC that have large populations without intervention, too. We have seen a few here near Philly, and they can pop up anywhere.

o

None sighted in my area of North Andover. Chipmunks have been sparse this summer as well.

o

My parents in Acton reported a black squirrel last year...

o

I believe there have been black squirrels in Acton for years. I grew up there, in fact. I also know that Westfield State College has black squirrels all over the campus.

o

Hi Sully, RI here/ and we have just the grey squirrels. Would love to see a black one, or even a chipmunk.

o

I guess it is a regional thing. We have only black-coloured (grey) squirrels. I'll have to look to see if I can find a grey one!

o

There's a few in Leonia, NJ; it really freaked me out the first time that I saw them ;) I've seen a few in different locations in the town.

o

We've had black squirrels in the DC area for 20 years now. I thought they were offspring of escapees from the National Zoo . . . , if they're truly mutants of the local species, then I've noticed they are getting more brownish/red from a mixed bloodline of other grey squirrels. I've seen a few albino squirrels downtown DC and they're quite a treat. Anyone in need of grey squirrels, send me postage and I'll send you a dozen. They keep eating my green apples and I've yet to taste a ripe one since they're eaten/dropped on the ground before September harvest.

o

I saw my first (and only) black squirrel in McKinney Texas, a northern suburb of Dallas. I'd understood they came from the midwest. Currently living in Denver suburbs, and have never seen one here.

o

We have seen black squirrels in Milford, Ma and everyone thought we were "nuts", hahaha....

o

Where I grew up there were black squirrels - this is in the Poconos of Pennsylvania near a little town called Conyngham. The folklore around these were that the Butlers (the county is named after them) brought a pair over from Europe so that they would not miss them.

We would see one occasionally pop up in the normal population.

o

Got lots of them out here in the woods in West Michigan.
Lisa

o

63 yrs living in rural and urban areas around Wisconsin, and I saw my first black squirrel at a family reunion this year. Many of them, in fact. All lived on the north end of Lake Winnebago in the Menasha/Appleton area. So far, havent seen any in the SE area (Milwaukee area) where I live. Pondy

o

• Posted by Loomis Z5 Western MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 22, 05 at 23:49

They've been in Westfield, MA, for years. I've also seen a few in Longmeadow. I love the black squirrels and wish I could bag a few & bring them to our yard.

o

We've seen a black squirrel in our back yard in Northwest San Antonio this month. All others have been fox squirrels.

o

Years ago we had grey squirrels with white tipped ears Very interesting but I do not suppose that unusual. Steve in Baltimore

o

I just saw a black squirrel today 4/27/08 in my backyard. I live in Kenosha, WI. I have done some research and it looks like the black squirrel has been seen in the northern and central part of the state but not in the southeastern part of the state. Is this a first?

o

we get them locally here in western MA! :)

o

a solo fellow showed up in the city park behind our house this fall - he can be seen on my flickr photo site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30420605@N06/

ben w

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 21, 11 at 10:33

I saw a sleek shiny totally black squirrel on Nov 4, 2010 near the San Jose, California airport! What a surprise. Tried to get a quick photo but it ran off the second I moved.
Min

o

I just saw one in Maynard, MA!

o

I just saw a black one with a grey one in Bourne MA...so glad I got a picture!

o

We have one in my Mom's back yard in Malden. He's been here for a few years. I've only seen the one and I did get some pictures of him/her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black squirrel

o

I saw a black squirrel in Newton Massachusetts 5/27/11. It scampered up a tree with a grey one right behind! Too bad I couldn't get my camera out quick enough!

o

There are a few in Stoneham and also in Charlestown

o
Anyone in MA have black squirrels yet?

There was a Black Squirrel sighting in North Reading Massachusetts today. He looked like a large rat at first, but as I got closer, sure enough he was a squirrel. Little guy with very good jumping ability.

o

Yes!! Saw one yesterday in public garden. I've lived in the city for almost 10 years. I was amazed by it! Very cool looking and kind of hopping around strangely. I took a picture!!

o

i have one in my backyard in medford ma

o

I've seen black squirrels in the Ball Square neighborhood of Somerville, MA for the first time this year, starting around September. I'm not sure if there are several or just one. But I got a few pics of a really fat, well-fed black squirrel this afternoon in my backyard.

o

We saw our first black squirrel in our back yard yesterday.

o

Greetings,

My wife and I spotted a black squirrel at our home today in North Andover. I'm familiar with them in DC but have never seen them around these parts before.

o

There are some great videos on YouTube of black squirrels. I would love to see one live, but I think it will be a while before they make their way to GA. I have a friend who lives near Philadelphia who has had both albino and black squirrels get tame enough to come to him for peanuts in his back yard. Not at the same time. That would be a rush. If I can figure out how to post this, here's a link to a black squirrel video:

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Squirrel Video

o

I saw a black squirrel today in stoneham, Ma at 91 Montvale Ave.. I have never seen one before and was quite surprised.

o

We have seen a black squirrel in our backyard for about a month now at Lowther Road Framingham, Ma.

o

Just saw a black squirrel for the first time in Sudbury, MA!

o

Many years ago I was visiting my uncle near Chicago and was stunned to see that the squirrels in his yard were black! Coming from Massachusetts, I had never seen anything but gray squirrels. This month, I'm reporting repeated sitings of a black squirrel in my yard near the harbor in Plymouth MA. Still plenty of gray squirrels... but at least one shinny black squirrel among them. Thanks to this list for verification of other sightings. It's always surprising to find growing numbers of fauna not usually experienced in New England. How about the number of possum or turkey vultures (or turkeys?)

o

Not in my area, but there is a small colony living in Boston near the Waterfront/Convention Center area and I understand UMass Amherst has them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here