Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sully4_gw

Anyone in MA have black squirrels yet?

Sully4
18 years ago

I have both red and gray squirrels but no black ones. I have seen them in Canada many times but heard they are now in New England. Anyone have them showing up at their house?

Comments (53)

• vonyon
    18 years ago

I believe there have been black squirrels in Acton for years. I grew up there, in fact. I also know that Westfield State College has black squirrels all over the campus.

• navymom2226
    18 years ago

Hi Sully, RI here/ and we have just the grey squirrels. Would love to see a black one, or even a chipmunk.

• jancarkner
    18 years ago

I guess it is a regional thing. We have only black-coloured (grey) squirrels. I'll have to look to see if I can find a grey one!

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

There's a few in Leonia, NJ; it really freaked me out the first time that I saw them ;) I've seen a few in different locations in the town.

• meilie
    18 years ago

We've had black squirrels in the DC area for 20 years now. I thought they were offspring of escapees from the National Zoo . . . , if they're truly mutants of the local species, then I've noticed they are getting more brownish/red from a mixed bloodline of other grey squirrels. I've seen a few albino squirrels downtown DC and they're quite a treat. Anyone in need of grey squirrels, send me postage and I'll send you a dozen. They keep eating my green apples and I've yet to taste a ripe one since they're eaten/dropped on the ground before September harvest.

• tommysmommy
    18 years ago

I saw my first (and only) black squirrel in McKinney Texas, a northern suburb of Dallas. I'd understood they came from the midwest. Currently living in Denver suburbs, and have never seen one here.

• gee01757_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

We have seen black squirrels in Milford, Ma and everyone thought we were "nuts", hahaha....

• jillhudock
    18 years ago

Where I grew up there were black squirrels - this is in the Poconos of Pennsylvania near a little town called Conyngham. The folklore around these were that the Butlers (the county is named after them) brought a pair over from Europe so that they would not miss them.

We would see one occasionally pop up in the normal population.

• lisa11310
    18 years ago

Got lots of them out here in the woods in West Michigan.
    Lisa

• pondwelr
    18 years ago

63 yrs living in rural and urban areas around Wisconsin, and I saw my first black squirrel at a family reunion this year. Many of them, in fact. All lived on the north end of Lake Winnebago in the Menasha/Appleton area. So far, havent seen any in the SE area (Milwaukee area) where I live. Pondy

• loomis
    18 years ago

They've been in Westfield, MA, for years. I've also seen a few in Longmeadow. I love the black squirrels and wish I could bag a few & bring them to our yard.

• spl91046
    18 years ago

We've seen a black squirrel in our back yard in Northwest San Antonio this month. All others have been fox squirrels.

• oscarthecat
    18 years ago

Years ago we had grey squirrels with white tipped ears Very interesting but I do not suppose that unusual. Steve in Baltimore

• rosanna8
    15 years ago

I just saw a black squirrel today 4/27/08 in my backyard. I live in Kenosha, WI. I have done some research and it looks like the black squirrel has been seen in the northern and central part of the state but not in the southeastern part of the state. Is this a first?

• abbybirds
    15 years ago

we get them locally here in western MA! :)

• watkins_jb_gmail_com
    13 years ago

a solo fellow showed up in the city park behind our house this fall - he can be seen on my flickr photo site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30420605@N06/

ben w

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    13 years ago

I saw a sleek shiny totally black squirrel on Nov 4, 2010 near the San Jose, California airport! What a surprise. Tried to get a quick photo but it ran off the second I moved.
    Min

• Renee03_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I just saw one in Maynard, MA!

• Lauren_degregorio_capecod_edu
    12 years ago

I just saw a black one with a grey one in Bourne MA...so glad I got a picture!

• angeljt_aol_com
    12 years ago

We have one in my Mom's back yard in Malden. He's been here for a few years. I've only seen the one and I did get some pictures of him/her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black squirrel

• jreedy_rcn_com
    12 years ago

I saw a black squirrel in Newton Massachusetts 5/27/11. It scampered up a tree with a grey one right behind! Too bad I couldn't get my camera out quick enough!

• auntbunny
    12 years ago

There are a few in Stoneham and also in Charlestown

• ptrainer78_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

There was a Black Squirrel sighting in North Reading Massachusetts today. He looked like a large rat at first, but as I got closer, sure enough he was a squirrel. Little guy with very good jumping ability.

• Traceeinteriors_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Yes!! Saw one yesterday in public garden. I've lived in the city for almost 10 years. I was amazed by it! Very cool looking and kind of hopping around strangely. I took a picture!!

• lucylou22
    12 years ago

i have one in my backyard in medford ma

• abillouise
    12 years ago

I've seen black squirrels in the Ball Square neighborhood of Somerville, MA for the first time this year, starting around September. I'm not sure if there are several or just one. But I got a few pics of a really fat, well-fed black squirrel this afternoon in my backyard.

• bonnie252
    12 years ago

We saw our first black squirrel in our back yard yesterday.

• Runnerguy
    11 years ago

Greetings,

My wife and I spotted a black squirrel at our home today in North Andover. I'm familiar with them in DC but have never seen them around these parts before.

• dancegypsy
    11 years ago

There are some great videos on YouTube of black squirrels. I would love to see one live, but I think it will be a while before they make their way to GA. I have a friend who lives near Philadelphia who has had both albino and black squirrels get tame enough to come to him for peanuts in his back yard. Not at the same time. That would be a rush. If I can figure out how to post this, here's a link to a black squirrel video:

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Squirrel Video

• jkirk78
    10 years ago

I saw a black squirrel today in stoneham, Ma at 91 Montvale Ave.. I have never seen one before and was quite surprised.

• dat45auto
    10 years ago

We have seen a black squirrel in our backyard for about a month now at Lowther Road Framingham, Ma.

• paynstrups
    10 years ago

Just saw a black squirrel for the first time in Sudbury, MA!

• SootyOarsman
    10 years ago

Many years ago I was visiting my uncle near Chicago and was stunned to see that the squirrels in his yard were black! Coming from Massachusetts, I had never seen anything but gray squirrels. This month, I'm reporting repeated sitings of a black squirrel in my yard near the harbor in Plymouth MA. Still plenty of gray squirrels... but at least one shinny black squirrel among them. Thanks to this list for verification of other sightings. It's always surprising to find growing numbers of fauna not usually experienced in New England. How about the number of possum or turkey vultures (or turkeys?)

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Not in my area, but there is a small colony living in Boston near the Waterfront/Convention Center area and I understand UMass Amherst has them.

• KimPH
    9 years ago

I may be posting this for a second time (I don't see my first post). I have seen a black squirrel on Beach St in Woburn going into the Woodbrook Cemetery. I've either seen the same one twice or there are 2 in the neighborhood there.

• dirigoblue
    9 years ago

Yes! In the last few weeks we've observed a black squirrel at our bird feeders. We live in Dalton, in western MA (zone 5b). 8/21/2014

• rnorwood
    9 years ago

This year we have seen a black squirrel in our yard in Monument Beach, MA. I saw it in the spring, but it disappeared. We saw it this morning, and it spent some time at our bird feeders.

• flower848
    7 years ago

I've seen a black squirrel in the neighborhood but this morning I had one at the bird feeder in my yard in Stow, MA. Still mostly greys around and of course red squirrels too - the black sighting seems rare to me. Never saw a black one where I grew up in Braintree, MA but remember them from visiting an uncle in Toronto Canada in the early 90s. Interesting genetics!!

• rnorwood
    7 years ago

We have a black squirrel in our yard and at our feeders regularly on Cape Cod. I have heard of a large number of black squirrels in a village down the road, but I have only seen one at a time in our yard. It is a little smaller than the greys. I am waiting to see if it breeds locally and we get some more. I don't know how many seasons it will require for more black offspring to show up. It may have bred already this season. I think it was born nearby as I remember one racing around the yard (and under the house) with a group of young greys early last year. The new youngsters tend to come out to the feeders in the spring and play and chase. They are so energetic when they are little and fun to watch. I've never seen a red squirrel.

• rnorwood
    7 years ago

• Campanula UK Z8
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There have been several colonies in Cambridgeshire (UK) for the past decade - they outnumber greys in some areas...and they are on the increase since the gene for the blacl colouration is more dominant than grey...so we will be seeing the same changes as when our native reds were out-competed by the American greys...only at a slightly slower rate...although there is evidence which shows that grey females prefer black males as mates.

• mhamel1955
    7 years ago

Just saw my first black squirrel collecting acorns from my oak tree in Methuen MA. Also saw a few white squirrels a couple years ago when I was in Boston not far from TD Garden.

• Janet Favreau
    7 years ago

Yes! I have seen two beautiful black squirrels in my new neighborhood in Cotuit, MA. (Cape Cod) They are stunning!

• Bob Huntley
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes we have a couple in South Plymouth, Ma. They are not Grey Squirrels, that turned black, they are smaller than a Grey, and more slender. beautiful to see.

• Janet Favreau
    7 years ago

Yes, they are much more slender! I have two in my condo complex in Mashpee, right on the Cotuit line. So very cute! Trying to get a picture but they scamper around so fast, They are are very beautiful!

• Pennington Geis
    7 years ago

Yes. I live in Leeds, a village of Northampton, MA, In our yard I have seen grey squirrels, much smaller black squirrels, and tiny red squirrels. Three distinct body types. I had lived for years in the next town, Hatfield, and had never seen anything but grey squirrels there, but these were all here when I moved over here in 2012.

• Bob Huntley
    7 years ago

We had 2 in our yard, in Plymouth, Ma. Though we haven't seen them for a few months. I'm hoping that the Coyotes, didn't get them.

• shrikes
    5 years ago

I saw a "black" Eastern Gray Squirrel in Mashpee last month. It was crossing Sandwich Rd right at the entrance to Ryder Conservation Land. Definitely an Eastern Gray Squirrel and definitely black! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel

• HU-550083160
    5 years ago

I had never seen black squirrels before but I saw two when I was biking today, a live one in a tree in Walpole and a dead one on the road in north Bellingham.

• Adam Royer
    3 years ago

I saw one for the first time today behind where I live. He was satin black. Never seen a black squirrel

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?