Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caterpillar question

Posted by dirtgirl So. Illinois (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 13:27

Ok, help me narrow the field...I know there are some devoted lepidopterists among the masses here...

Got a mess of cats in the soybean field, not so many to be a threat to productivity, but being the nature freak that I am, I just wonder what they are and what the end result looks like.
Here's what I do know:

Emerge from canopy at dusk to feed on tops of growth.
Lime green, hairless or close to it-- couldn't make out any readily apparent markings such as striping or stippling
Most noticeable trait is a VERY large head, seems out of proportion to rest of cat's body, with a pronounced "neck".
Head is coffee brown, with different colored mandibles/eyes.
(Wish I had had better light to see with.)
average length is app. 1 1/2 inches to 2
THat will have to do until I can get another look.

Any suggestions?
I should be happy that these aren't the same stinging-haired little devils that I unwittingly got into a few years back while cutting weeds. Just like I fell into a patch of nettle or fiberglass while sweaty!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caterpillar question

• Posted by elke 6b (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 13:31

hang on for a few more weeks, then check amazon. i have a pre-publication copy of a new field guide to caterpillars of the eastern us (NOT the peterson's). it's great!!! proves god had a sense of humor, these things are so crazy looking.

o

You might have better luck asking this on the butterfly garden forum. There are some *extremely* devoted lepidopterists there and I'm sure they can tell you what the cats are to within the genus, if not the actual species.

o

Thanks, everyone!
Elke, that's my big gripe with the Audubon Insects and Siders publication....way too deficient when it comes to cats. A good basic primer, but not too detailed.
I will have to post this over there for the butterfly lovers...

o

• Posted by zebz 7-Va (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 18:58

Dirtgirl

According to the Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society these caterpillars use soybean as a host.

Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice)
Southern Dogface (Zerene cesonia)
Long-Tailed Skipper (Urbanus proteus)

o

Is this the new guide to which you refer, elke?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon

o

Hi everyone
sounds like the Long Tailed Skipper to me..
They are very cute caterpillars, green and their heads9brown with big eyes) are kinda sep. from the rest of the body(hope that makes sense)
They also come out to feed mostly at nighttime and are living at daytime in a nest rolled from leafes..
Hope that helps..
Greetings
Susanne(SUE)

o

yes, esh ga -- that would be the one. my only gripe is that they don't show the crysallis...but maybe that's another book.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here