Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

squirrel hybridization: do they or don't they??

dirtgirl
14 years ago

Well, the internet says yes and no, depending on the source. THe squirrels in question are fox squirrels and greys, and my reason for wondering is sitting outside the window stuffing his face with BOSS. It's a youngster, less than a year old, and it does not seem to get along too well with the other greys. I first noticed it about a week or so ago, but honestly it has probably been here in the yard all this year but with so many squirrels around I quit really watching them too closely. It has a totally red tail, meaning a dusty rust color, with very little variation, no band of dark blackish hair up the middle like most true foxes. The rest of the body is also highlighted with rust, and the characteristic that really stikes me as odd is the blackened forelegs, from the elbows to the paws and the almost as black bottom jaw and chin. I first thought perhaps this individual had been spending a lot of time cutting on walnuts and had simply stained itself but this is not the case. They are simply black.

I know there is an awful lot of variation in coloration, with the tail hairs showing all sorts of banding, and then there are even the occasional melanistic and albinistic populations, but this is the only individual I've seen like this here. I am thinking it's likely just a oddball grey, but we do have foxes sharing the same area and one has to wonder...

Comments (5)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012