Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patann_gw

animals, bird food, etc.

Pat z6 MI
14 years ago

Hello, I am just now new to this Forum, I'm a regular on other Garden Forums. But I think this Forum might be the one to get some answers to an idea I have. I did a search here before asking this question,but after reading posts by ellix and cheri here, I think I'm where i should be.

I feed birds all summer. I have water/bath dishes all over my property for the birds (and without thinking, for any critter that comes by at night, an d here's my problem, I think). I have gardens all over my yard and something enjoys breaking down my hosta leaves, my coneflowers and stems, my seedling tree trunks, my beets, whatever.

It occured to me that all this birdfood I put out morning and night, and these water/bathing dishes are attracting racoons, squirrels, groundhogs, whatever, to my yard and therein lies the answer to what is eating all my plants. Then I read the posts by ellix and cheri and WHAMMO! what was I thinking all this time?

Tell me, if I stopped feeding birds in the summer, wouldn't I cut down on the number of critters, including squirrels who live in all my 200-yr-old trees, from coming into my yard? What about the water/bathing dishes (I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching all the birds that take baths)?

And what about my compost pile where I throw vege and fruit trash? Say it isn't so.

Pat

Ann Arbor/Pittsfield Twp/Michigan

Comments (8)

• nativesnut
    14 years ago

You could try using birdfeeders to dispense seed and then bring them in the house at night.

I have to bring in my suet and hummingbird feeders after dark, in order to save them from Raccoons...

Bringing in the food source at night should be the same to Raccoons as removing it.

• chickadeemelrose
    14 years ago

nativesnut's idea to bring feeders in at night when you are having this kind of trouble is a good one. You would have to do it for awhile to be sure the animals raiding your feeders get the idea that there will be no more nighttime munchies at your place.

I am sorry that the mystery critters are ruining your plants. When you invest time, money and hard work in your gardens it is disheartening to go out and see something demolished. Unfortunately it is part of living near a wooded area (which I am assuming you do because of your reference to your trees). Some days I go out to see my snow-on-the-mountain looking like a grizzly bear rolled all over it. What animal did that? Who knows? It's frustrating. But what can you do?

I guess the best we can do is find ways to limit access to the things attracting the animals that are doing the damage. For instance, if you thought deer might be involved, you might put up some fence to discourage their coming around.

I wonder if your compost pile could be causing you trouble. Fresh food garbage of any kind is very tempting to raccoons and skunks I know (and probably the others). If the pile isn't in a secure container, that is probably attracting some of the above-mentioned animals. We used to have raccoons open our garbage cans and tip them over, especially if something aromatic was in there.

And then who knows where they go when they are finished there. Garden vegetables, I don't know what to say except that they are always tempting to some animals, it's a pain. I've gone out and found things chewed off my plants, and tops of plants gone, etc. and never known what did it. Maybe a skunk, maybe a cute bunny, maybe a groundhog. "Rabbit fence" or something similar might help.

In any case, good luck with this and stay with the forum, I haven't been here long but I've gotten a lot of really great, friendly advice.

• Pat z6 MI
    Original Author
    14 years ago

native and chickadee, i really appreciate your responses very much.

• chickadeemelrose
    14 years ago

patann,

Thanks for saying that, and I hope the situation improves for you soon. You obviously really love the birds and wildlife, I know that this will work out. Best of luck!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

PatannL:
    This is the first time I visited this Forum.

I make up a spray to keep deer away from plants.

Boil Garlic Powder in a quart of water, with some Red Pepper.
    When it cools to lukewarm , beat in an egg, or 2 tablespoons of Powdered eggs.

Strain this thru a cloth and put it in a Spray, or Stream
    bottle.( like Windex )

Spray you plants , flowers or whatever.

I tested it on Deer Corn, they won't go near it.
    I'm not sure of the other Animals.
    Give it a test
    Lou

• Pat z6 MI
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Lou, too.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

One thing that you can do is to just put a small amount of birdseed out each day (like one cup per day). so there is just enough food for the birds during the day, but not so much food left over to attract the destructers (coons, ground hogs and possums).

• Pat z6 MI
    Original Author
    14 years ago

joepye, that's a very good idea. However, since i first posted this, I stopped feeding birds altogether and have noticed much more Robin activity in my baths, which I love. Also noticed other non-seed-eating birds around more. The new tribe of crows or blackbirds or grackels or starlings are GONE. The Cardinals, nuthatches, titmice, etc., now come for the bugs and water. I love it.

joe, i will give thought to reducing my birdfood this winter, thanks to your suggestion.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz