Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Missing goldfinches?

kqcrna
15 years ago

Who has my goldfinches this summer? Normally they come in droves. I have lots of flowers in my yard that they like (zinnias, echinacea, rudbeckia, many others) and I always keep an upside down thistle feeder.

I have some this year, but not nearly the usual number. I bought 20 lb. of thistle seed in spring or early summer and I haven't run out yet. It never lasts nearly this long.

Has anyone else noticed a smaller population this summer?

Karen

Cincinnati

Comments (17)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I think my goldfinches are about the same as ever... I haven't noticed any less.

I was watching them pick at the seed heads on the columbine and cup plants yesterday.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So you're the one who has mine!

Seriously, I've been in this house 25 years and always had more than this. Normally they empty the seed in the upside down feeder within 2 days. This year it's lasting almost a week before it needs a refill.

I'm glad to hear they aren't dying off like honeybees. The difference is so apparent that I was wondering that.

Karen

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

I think I have them. Normally I have alot anyway, but this year it seems like a population explosion. I just spent $26 on two 5lb bags of thistle (man has that stuff gotten expensive). My two thistle feeders are constantly occupied, and the plants, well, they're going crazy on the agastaches, oenothera, zinnias, echinacea, rudbeckias. I've seen them on the salvias & buddleias, plants that I don't normally see them on. Their noise is unbelievable as well. Even my neighbors called me over to "check out those little yellow birds playing in the puddles". Another neighbor asked what all those little yellow birds were that were all over my coneflowers. So much for the knowledge of our state bird here in NJ, LOL. Sorry Karen ;)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

I have a large (almost floor to ceiling) window at the front of the house and have a perennial garden planted right in front of it. The goldfinch harvest from those plants every morning, right in front of the window. And my cat sprawls on the window sill to watch them feed, just a few inches away, on the other side of the glass. It's pretty funny.

No change in the population here, either. They are so entertaining to watch.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

If you think about population trends, they do go up and down periodically, boom and bust if you will... remember high school biology class.... anyway, perhaps you are in a bust year...

Not sure if OHio has had the same wierd weather that we've had in Illinois this year. We've had an abnormally cool moist summer, followed by a recent cool dry spell... very strange for this time of year. It should be hot and humid right now but its not. So perhaps the weird weather has played a role your goldfinch population?

I know the weather has played soem tricks on many of plants... strange bloom times... but at least they are blooming. We've had so much rain, Its been a good year for transplants.

Seeing how you are missing yours, I'll post a pic, so you can remember what they look like, just in case they show up.

• greeness
    15 years ago

Greetings all. Bird behavior is determined to large degree upon climate changes (barometic pressure, etc) that prompts birds to nest, or not to nest, or to migrate toward food sources, etc. If you've had a hotter or drier summer than usual, your finches may have moved on to greener (seedier) pastures. If their instincts tell them that there isn't enugh food for supporting nesting and raising babies, they'll either forgo the breeding season or find a better place. Populations do fluctuate' you might want to call a clocal chapter of the Audubon society or your local university extension service for more info.

Also during very hot weather, birds typically feed early in the morning and near dusk. They lie low during th hottest part of the day.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'm in NC. I thought I was missing them, too. Now, they are here in huge flocks feeding in the flower garden. It's my understanding that they nest in July around here, so I think that's why the population just exploded...the new kids have arrived!
    My hummingbird population just increased a whole lot, too.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: coneflowers for goldfinch in my garden

• motherearth2
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'm seeing then pretty regularly here, especially around the rudbeckias. I know what you mean about missing them when they're not around, though. Goldfinch are my favorites next to the cardinal.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still have some, just not as many as usual.

Yesterday at work I was talking to a friend and we were discussing our flowers and tomatoes. I live on the west side of town while she lives on the east side. We weren't talking about birds at all and out of the blue she said "I've never seen as many goldfinches as this year". I guess she got my birds this year.

As long as my hummingbirds don't leave me, I'll be happy.

Karen

• suzannie41
    15 years ago

They are visiting my backyard this year. I have lots more than ever before. Love to watch them!

Sue

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

This is the time of year where we start to see the birds flock to the feeders and our yards for food. They starting to migrate and need to put on some weight for the journey.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I bought some stale seed once and they didn't eat it. Do you put out sun flowers seed? They will eat that too. The thistle seed is so high, I wouldn't be surpised if it wasn't moving in the stores.

• gymell
    15 years ago

Interesting you should mention that. I've noticed just the opposite, an abundance of them. I can't keep the feeders filled up fast enough!

• chipheptig_comcast_net
    12 years ago

i'm missing almost all of my goldfinches this year. i normally have many (two nyger seed feeders). glad to hear at least some birders are seeing them.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chip, this thread was from 2008.

Karen

• terryr
    12 years ago

Karen, not only are so many very old threads being brought up (found one in Integrated Pest Management from '98), but what's with the user name in black with just an email? No 'My Page'? I keep seeing that over and over again. I can't see how they're a registered user.

• honeypi
    12 years ago

I put up a wire mesh type bird feeder about a month ago and I have yet to see ANY finches on it at all! I put nyjer seed in it. What's going on? I'm in central North Carolina

Sponsored
Terra Landscape and Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
North Fairfax County's Dedicated Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz