Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltcollins1949

Just Swimming Along

ltcollins1949
17 years ago

Sunday morning this big guy came by swimming around our piers. We generally don't see gators out here, but this one was about 8' to 10'. I don't want to fall in the water.

{{gwi:1349166}}Gator

{{gwi:1349167}}Another gator!

Comments (8)

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Oh Gosh, how scary!!!
    With those in the water, I'm not sure I'd ever want to be near the water! It sounds like they show up in people's ponds/water gardens too. Be careful!

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I stay out of the water here, but my neighbor that took the pictures just keeps swimming out there. I'm not that brave. I'll just stay up on my pier.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

I live in Indiana, and have no idea what it would be like to live with gators. It would be like having grisly bears around. Pretty darned scary for sure! And I think you could even not be real close to a river/swamp, but still have a pond in your backyard, or even a pool.....and you are still at risk.
    I have mixed feelings about this. I know around here they build huge subdivisions that are required to have drainage ponds, and the Canadian geese drive everyone crazy.....but that's just their habitat and we've ruined so much of it for them. So I guess I feel the same way about all the habitat that the gators have lost to humans. But still.......I would be scared to death to live around them. They mean business. They're not very personable. ;)

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    17 years ago

catherinet

I find your post very interesting, especially since I'm a fifth generation Hoosier, from Benton County. I moved to Florida, and then on to Texas in 1976, and never looked back. I still have my parents and three of my brothers living in Indiana, but three of us kids live in Texas, two in Houston and me, used to be Houston, but now Rockport.

You get used to living around wildlife. Now don't get me wrong, because I don't want to meet up with this gator or any other scary wildlife for a matter of fact, but they are here, and being aware and just staying out of their territory is the key. Unless they feel threatened or trapped, they will leave you alone.

OK, since I've been living out here in the rural south Texas area, only 150 miles from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, I've learned to deal with sharks, alligator gars, coyotes, snakes, both poisonous and non-poisonous, bobcats, and cougars, and then the not to worry about animals, i.e. fox, raccoons, armadillos, possums, etc. I've even had some non-poisonous snakes get into my house occasionally along with lizards, skinks and geckos. You just get used to it.

Tell you what, . . .I'd rather deal with the wildlife then having to live back in Houston again. HA!

It is very beautiful here, so that makes up for everything.

P.S. And gators are ugly, but then I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. And my son lives in Alaska, and he has to deal with bears and moose that are not very nice to humans either. So the key is to stay out of their territory!

My back yard, makes it all worth it.

{{gwi:1349168}}

• catherinet
    17 years ago

I'm sure I would get used to it. And like you said.....the beauty is worth the caution you must exercise.
    I find gators very interesting. They are so primitive. I think I'm finding it much harder to live around too many humans, than any other scary animal!
    I remember you saying you had family here. I think you said your parents were really into birdwatching, right?
    On a much smaller scale, bees and hornets are a bit like gators......you just have to give them space and not challenge them, and you're okay. But sometimes accidents and surprises happen. I'd rather have an accident with a hornet than a gator! hahaha
    Your area looks absolutely beautiful. I would put up with alot of things, to be near that much beauty!
    Enjoy that beautiful view!

• ltcollins1949
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, my parents are birders up on the Tippecanoe. But Mom is an indoor-only birder! HA! She loves to watch the birds from indoors because she is afraid of birds. She won't even walk out on my pier because she is afraid of the birds.

Yes, we do have a beautiful iew. Thank you!

• rudysmallfry
    17 years ago

Those are such cool looking creatures, but I sure am glad I live in CT where nothing can kill me except a fast moving SUV!

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

Timber rattlers occur in CT.