Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

Need an id...

terryr
18 years ago

I need an id on 2 plants that are growing at my parents house. I have no idea how to post pictures...can someone help? I can email it to someone who could then post? It goes directly to my email, so I need an address. I read how to do it, but it's way over my head! lol...help?

Thanks,

Terry

Comments (16)

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Terry I will try if you want to e-mail me your pictures I can't guarantee that I will be able to post them. Sarah

• paisley_tx
    18 years ago

I can help out if Sarah can't, just click on my page and send me an email.

• terryr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarah, I emailed the pictures to you...then I tried to see if I could email the hp site to myself (which didn't work before). This time, I think it works....

Paisley, I have this instant share thing with my camera. It takes it to an hp place...that's why I can't just go to your page...I have to have an email address in which to send it. Which like I stated above, it didn't work before when I tried, this time I think it worked....

Hopefully, my link does work....at least for a little while?

Thanks!

Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• matt_v
    18 years ago

gREETINGS! Looks like Honeysuckle (Lonicera sp.) but I may be wrong as I cant see too much detail. Still, unless it is some sort of Cherry, not much should be fruiting red right now. Pinch a berry, does it have a stone? Ask if this shrub flowers white in mid-May and smells very nice/sweet..?

If this is Honeysuckle, the bad news is that it is considered invasive. Try Alternate leaf Dogwood, Pin or Bird Cherry, Elderberry or Currants as a more Bird-friendly alternative.

• matt_v
    18 years ago

Greetings! I just had another look at your pics, and learned I could blow them up full screen. Now I get it, you have 2 unknowns, a shrub and a tree. OK, I'm still for Lonicera on the Shrub. The tree looks like either a pin or Bird Cherry (Prunus sp.). Keying this one out could be tough, I don't think it matters much as it should be native. Wait until the Grosbeaks or Waxwings find it!!

I also see my original reply got a link for chemlawn embedded in it since I used the term shrub. I am deeply offended that my post is now linked to a truly useless corporation catering to the vapid and vain development dwellers who are eating up more and more open space. Just in case anyone thinks I favor chemlawn, you now know better!

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Terry here's your unknown shrub

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

It looks like a viburnum to me maybe V.lentago, nannyberry or V. nudum possumhaw I get them mixed up. Sarah

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

I thought the first looked like viburnum too. Do you remember what the flowers looked like? The leaves look a lot like my v. prunifolium.
    The second one does look like prunus. Wild black cherry is common here where I am and a great wildlife plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1349187}}

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

The first is NOT a viburnum. The fruit are all wrong. I think it may be a shrub honeysuckle. Whatever it is, it's not native.

The second is a native cherry, either black cherry or chokecherry.

• terryr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Sarah! If ya wanna come over and sit next to me and show me how to do it, I'd probably get it then..lol...but reading all that technical stuff...I just don't get it!

I didn't see any of these bloom, but I certainly will watch for them next spring. They're in the far back part of their land...I was disposing of my "lawn" when I discovered them....lol...(my dad doesn't get it, you don't want all that nice grass?)...lol..

Well, I guess the bad news is the shrub appears to be invasive. Darn. I was hoping it was some sort of viburnam and I was going to dig it up and bring it here. And there's more than 1 :(

I'm tickled to hear the tree is either a black cherry or chokeberry! How cool...my yard is way to small for either and them having it will at least benefit me some! Not sure how yet, but I'll figure it out:)

Thanks to all!

Terry

• matt_v
    18 years ago

Greetings! Definitely not a Black Cherry!! This is an overstory tree, with very lenticellate bark. You can see these, they look like little - - - marks perpendicular with the ground. By the time a Black Cherry (also called Rum Cherry...) got fruit it would be at least 10-20 feet tall. Choke Cherry is a very good possibility, as is Pin or Fire Cherry. You will do well to encourage this, LOTS of Songbirds LOVE them!!

• terryr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Matt... lenticellate bark? Mmmm...I've never heard of that, will look according to your description. This tree is over 20 ft. tall. Probably 25-30. It's on the outside edge of the timber and if I remember, it is the overstory tree. I'll go out tomorrow to check to be sure. I see just it out there, no suckers as I believe chokecherry does. I had a pic of the whole tree, but it was really hard to see any details, let alone the berries, so I erased it from my camera.

Terry

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Any time Terry just e-mail me your pics. I have trouble too resizing the pictures so they aren't too large also I lose files And this is embarassing because I took three classes in adobe photoshop elements I think I have to take the classes over again. Sarah

• terryr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was doing a search on native plants in IL, and discovered there is a native bush honeysuckle in IL.....

• kevin_5
    18 years ago

Yes there is Terry, but that isn't it.

• terryr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, I know it isn't Kevin. The native one has ummm...serrated (sp) edges. I found a list of IL native and introduced plants, and was surprised by the fact that there is one that's native. Would be nice if it was that....

Terry

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus