Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Getting desparate looking for a very small fruit-bearing shrub

lovefornature
16 years ago

I am looking for a small shrub that bears fruit that the birds love and will not take up too much space that does not need a mate to bear fruit.

I have looked thru books, on this website, googled, I am lost.

I have room for a shrub that grows only about 5 feet tall and 3-4 feet round. Something that the birds will love to eat. Preferably something that flowers too.

It will be placed in full sun.

I am just now starting to think about my wildlife garden and this is the place I want to start and work my way up eventually.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Comments (18)

• terryr
    16 years ago

There are so many wonderful berry producing shrubs out there, but most of them aren't going to be that size. Is there a specific reason why it has to be so small? Could you expand on your bed and create a larger one, so a larger shrub would work? Or a few of them to really create a bird haven?

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi terryr: I do have some places where I can place larger items, but I wanted this spot too to be an area of interest.

In front of my deck, I am building a garden which is approximately 30 feet long and about 3-4 feet in depth from the deck. When the deck reaches the stairs there is more space there because the deck cuts off and the stairs are set back a bit. (Hope that makes sense.)

I suppose that it could be a little taller, maybe 6-7 feet, but still could not be any wider than 3-4 ft. round and would be placed in full sun.

Thanks for responding to my question. I may just have to plant a clematis or some other vine climber or shrub.

• jabee
    16 years ago

Here's a link to a native plant nursery. Do stick to natives to attract wildlife.

You can read throught the descriptions though you might want to start with coralberry.

NWF Backyard Habitat Steward- Texas

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibility Place Nursery

• terrene
    16 years ago

Not sure if this will be hardy in our zone - but check out Beautyberry, Callicarpa americana. It is a small native shrub that has absolute gorgeous berries that the birds like to eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Callicarpa americana

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Nice website Txspice, thanks for the link.
    I really like Callicarpa americana too. They have lovely purple berries and pretty little tiny pink flowers.
    Bonnie

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

One of the smaller serviceberries, especially Regent Serviceberry would be perfect. An alternative would be black Aronia, Iraquois Beauty. Lovely shinny green leaves, spring flowers and nice black berries. Get Iraquis Beauty, It stays small.

Your choices are really narrow since most things need a pollinator or just get too big for your requirements.

• terryr
    16 years ago

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (coralberry) can form thickets and can't take being in full sun in Northern IL, I don't think it could handle it in TX. My experience in TN with Callicarpa americana was that it got 8 ft tall. I did recently buy one for here, but the I'm pushing the zone for it. Whether it will live thru an IL winter is anybody's guess. To stay with a native is going to be a hard find, especially when the size limit is so small. The MoBot site says this about Iroquois beauty.........

ÂMorton is a somewhat more compact cultivar that typically grows to 2-3 tall and to 4-5 wide. It was selected by the Morton Arboretum (hence the cultivar name) and introduced by Chicagoland Grows. It is commonly sold under the trademarked name of IROQUOIS BEAUTY. Plants feature the same flowers, foliage, fruits and fall color as the species.

Since it's a cultivar, I don't look at it as a native, but that's just my own opinion.

The Regent serviceberry, from what I can read, is also a cultivar, but it does have the best size requirements.

How far are you from Possibility Place? If you're not too far, give Conner Shaw a call and tell him what you have in mind and the size requirement and see what he thinks.

Here is a link that might be useful: MoBot

• jabee
    16 years ago

Just a note...I may be from Texas but my suggestion of a coralberry was for lovefornature in Illinois.

Oh...and coralberry does fine down here too!

• terryr
    16 years ago

Oh for pete's sake txspice, I knew that! LOL! I typed that wrong didn't I? See what happens when one is in a hurry and tries to type up a response? I did ask her/him if they lived near Monee and Possibility Place, so at least that part I got right ;0) Sorry txspice! But again, it cannot grow in full sun up here in Northern IL and I'm not sure whereabouts lovefornature is in IL....farther south than I am is my guess. But then again since they changed the zone map...an hour away from me is listed as a solid 6 now, but I'm still firmly in zone 5a.

• loris
    16 years ago

Terry and others,

In another thread Terry mentioned mapleleaf viburnum wouldn't be good for full sun. Have people had trouble with mapleleaf viburnum in the sun? I know I come across contradictory information about plants, but both the UConn Plant Database and William Cullina's book on native trees and shrubs have light conditions including sun. Maybe it's a matter of how dry it is. As I said in the other thread I haven't grown it myself.

It may also be a bit too tall for what's needed.

lovefornature,

My workaround for small wildlife friendly shrubs was to plant for butterflies. There are cultivars of Clethra such as 'Hummingbird' which are supposed to stay small and it's an attractive plant. It won't work if you have people who are paranoid about bees etc like my mother is.

Another thought, although it'll probably be less fun, is an evergreen shrub which will provide shelter in the winter.

If you don't need the structure, you might also look into perennials that produce berries.

Good luck.

• loris
    16 years ago

Just had another thought about this. Maybe there are cultivars of blueberry, or bramble fruits which would stay small enough for you.

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!!

You are all so very helpful :)

I live in Central Illinois, almost in the middle of the state.

I do not mind bees at all, but my DD would flip completely out. She is so very afraid of all bugs and she is 15!!

I will look into all of the shrubs that all have mentioned today and make a choice.

Thanks again!!

• terryr
    16 years ago

Lori, yes, I've seen mapleleaf viburnums with crispy leaves from being in too much sun. I've always read that they are a woodland plant, found most commonly at the edge of the woods, so getting some dappled light, or some morning sun, is what it likes. I have mine in a mostly shady spot and it's doing really well. Actually, mine was dug up from a friends woodland edge.

lovefornature, I have a feeling you're not too far from me. Just so you know and your daughter is prepared, anything that blooms or is green and alive outside, is going to have bugs and on blooms, she's going to see bees ;0)

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi terryr:

We probably are pretty close. I live in a small town located in between Bloomington, Decatur, Springfield and Champaign.

I think I am going to try a blueberry.

• terryr
    16 years ago

Yummy! I love blueberries!! Make sure you get some too ;)

Well, Bloomington is about an hour south an little east of me, Springfield is about 2 hours. I'm up just off I-80, west of LaSalle-Peru.

• nosambos
    16 years ago

Gooseberries are restrained but produce lots of fruit. I try to grow them for myself but the birds like them when they are half ripe.

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I have red Gooseberries and they are really wonderful when they are ripe and so-so before ripening. The problem is that something, probably racoons or possums, eats them at night just before they get ripe so I don't get the fruit.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

Wayside catelog has a dwarf blueberry plant - Vaccinium 'Sunshine Blue.' "This dwarf plant boasts attractive pink flowers, an easy-care habit, and silvery evergreen leaves. Each plant offers 5-10 lbs of sweet, dime-sized berries. A self-pollinator with a low chill requirement, it is ideal for the south, though it thrives as far north as Chicago."