Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
night bird sound?

Posted by cofeidi MN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 20:23

I was camping this weekend in Southeastern MN (Lansboro) and kept awake by a strange bird sound. I assume it was a bird because I could tell it was up in the tree and seemed to be moving from tree to tree. The sound would be far and then near. I think there were at least two birds.

The sound was not at all pleasant and not rythmic. It started high and got higher and then ended. I would describe it as a screech, but I listened to the sound of a screech owl and that wasn't even close. This was far more annoying. The sound went on and on through the night (until a storm hit). Can anyone give me any clues as to what kind of bird it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: night bird sound?

Tree frogs

o

Whippoorwill?

Here is a link that might be useful: sound of a whippoorwill

o
whippoorwill

don't forget to turn up your speakers the sound is on the page

o

I listened to the whippoorwill and that is far too pleasant in comparison to the one I heard that night. This bird was more like a shreak ( I checked shreak owl). It made a continuous (shreak) sound for 2 or 3 seconds. and then repeated with no rythm. It went on for a couple of hours.

o

It's a Turkey Vulture. There are always more than one in the same area. I have seen up to 46 at once. They do sound creepy at night. I am still not used to it.

o

Turkey vultures don't screech.

o

If you were anywhere near water/marsh/bog, etc. it may be water birds such as limpkins, etc.

o

Here we have baby barred owls that do that. They move through the trees getting food from their mom -so the sound moves closer and further as they feed and look for mom. They make a strange hissing /screeching sound.

o

we have a Chuck Wills Widow that we hear every night for the past few years ... could this possibly be what you heard? Under the tab that says SOUND you can click the button to hear the call. There are other bird calls on that site too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound of Chuck Wills Widow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here