Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jibd

Bluebird House Help!!!

jibd
13 years ago

Hi all,

For the past two years, we have put out a bird house in the hopes of attracting bluebirds to our yard. We know they nest in the neighborhood every year, as we see at least one pair and eventually young 'uns in neighboring yards, and sometimes our own. It seems like the perfect scenario to have nesting bluebirds: until the house sparrows enter the scene (dun dun dun). Each year, they commandeer the house, claiming it as their own, and, on the two occasions other birds have investigated the house (a pair of titmice and a pair of bluebirds) they have been chased out. So, this spring we will put out the house in February (two months earlier than we had been) and put it on a pole in an open area (it had been hooked on a tree). Another problem could be the design. I believe the hole may be too large for bluebirds (but I can't remember the size lol), although I would think they'd prefer the same size or larger as house sparrows, and I have heard that flat ceilings and smaller interiors discourage house sparrows. If anyone has had success with particular sizes, designs, or locations, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths