Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great Horned Owl is Hooting Tonight !

Posted by springvillegardens Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 07 at 3:00

Just had to post and share that the great horned owl is hooting and hooting tonight. We have a deodar tree near our house and he sits up there every so often and gives us a chorus. Click on the site below and click on the calls and you can listen to the sounds I am hearing, especially the first one of the pair of owls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Call of the Great Horned Owl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great Horned Owl is Hooting Tonight !

They are very cool....one of my favorite Owls. We have a lot of them here in and around my area. I hear them more often in late spring...but occasionally this time of year too.
Maybe they will nest near or on your property?? We have had Barn Owls nest here quite often....Talk about weird sounds...a lot of hissing and high pitch sounds from them. They have a face only a mother could love...but they sure keep our field mouse population in check.
We hoot back and usually get an answer....Try it...They might actually talk back when tyhey hear you hoot...

Cheers!

o

A nice thread! We love and always welcome the Owl. When we first moved out here to this neck of the woods, we often heard them toward evening approach. I don't real know what type of owl we heard but every bit of nature is quite appreciated. Cooler temps around this time of the year are also refreshing.

o

Don't you just love owls? (as long as they aren't carrying off any of your chickens!).
We occasionally have barred owls in our woods. A couple years ago there used to be a family of them here, and listening to them was sooooooo cool.
Seems like the cooler weather of October gets them going. I think that's maybe the start of their mating season?
We used to get screech owls too. Their cry is something else. Would love to hear a barn owl.
I always feel like our property is extra special when I hear an owl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here