Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Groundhog story

njtea
18 years ago

I work at a school for kids with developmental disabilities. We have a lovely garden, totally fenced to keep out the deer, but the groundhog has not been deterred.

Yesterday afternoon, said groundhog was spotted up in the pear tree picking pears and eating them! He (or one of his many relatives) had been spotted in the past climbing the fence to get into the garden (after the holes had been blocked and before there'd been time to excavate new ones), but up in a tree was a first! Unfortunately, no one had a camera.

Comments (7)

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Groundhogs often climb trees to escape predators, but the first time you see it, it's still hard to believe :) Ours will scale our 8' high fence around the garden with ease. It's not graceful, but definitely determined.

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had a dog that would kill anything it could catch. He used to chase down groundhogs but I never saw any try to climb one of the many trees in the hedge row he "hunted" - guess they thought they could outrun him to their burrow. Thanks, Jillmcm, for that info.

• dreamweaver_
    18 years ago

We don't have groundhogs here but bet that was a sight to see!
    I have a huge pear tree but never get any pears, the Squirrels get all of them even though I keep a feeder full of nuts & seed for them - that's OK, I love watching all their shenanigans.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

Thanks for the stories! All natural food sources for the ground-dwelling chucks and rodentia forms are read in earnest. We gotta improve on that in the FCF yard. Are the woodchucks hibernating by you yet? My parents have a underthekitchen window foundation-of-house dweller (who lives to kick up dirt now on my mom's evergreens) and they wanted to relocate it. I called the wildlife center and they advised no. Late September is when they put on their flannel pjs. Wait 'til spring as groundchucks are increasing their rotundness-girth for the long winter's nap. My hubby and I want to visually gaze at and admire that groundhog up in Brown County, WI, on my parent's property. Or help with a relocation attempt next spring as my mom is worried its going to cave in the concrete foundation. *L* Ohhh, we'd consider moving it to s.e. WI too if we could provide ideal southern, sloping exposure habitat. Smiles to the stories,

• ellyd
    18 years ago

You aren't kidding about the groundhogs increasing their rotundness! I've been watching one grow daily at my sunflower hopper that I put out for the squirrels. He started out as a cute furry ball and now he's the size of a dog! I swear! He's here about 3 or 4 times a day. Funny thing though is that I never see anyone one but this lone one. Do they usually stay in a group or wander off by themselves? The little red squirrel does NOT like the groundhog at all! He runs down the tree chattering and stamping his feet running circles around the groundhog. So funny! Of course the groundhog isn't intimidated in the least bit. He just sits there munching away looking pleased as punch.

• ghoghunter
    18 years ago

When I read about groundhogs it said they are mostly loners. I have heard from others that they sometimes hang out in groups despite what the books say!! I often have them behind my house in a creek and there is an empty den back there right now. My last ground hog resident was in July. Since I saw some foxes in the area I am hoping not to have any more tenants!!!

• dollladie
    18 years ago

Hello All,
    This is my first visit to this particular forum. We have (a) groundhog - may be more; not sure, but he stays pretty close to the field behind my garden; though I'm sure he's been in the garden a few times since our dog passed away in June. What exactly is it that they like to eat? Are they destructive in any way? Also, there's several rabbits; I don't mind, tho they eat my lupines and nasturtium. What would the rabbits be eating during the winter, and is there anything special I should try to do for them? Thanks.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor