Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebbie_gw

Female Mallard Rescue

ebbie
14 years ago

I have always loved animals and when in need, I have always tried to help them. Thank God my husband feels the same. He wanted me to share this little story and maybe it might brighten someones day or maybe even make you laugh. I have rescued a lot of injured ducks and other kind of waterfowls before, but never has this ever happened. My husband and I live in a subdivision where the back of our house sits on the bank of a large bayou/canal. We get a lot of waterfowls, pelicans, seagulls, ducks, etc. One day we noticed that this female mallard was in our back yard and it had something wrapped around her beak, well I tried to go out and help it and she wobbled off. Moments later my husband noticed she was back. Well this went on for a while. We would try to help and she would wander off, we would try to help and she would wander off; then we decided to try to trap her, cause we knew she would never survive with this item wrapped around her beak. We often fed the ducks bread, so put some bread down. She came right up to the back door and somehow she came into our house to get some bread!!! MY HUSBAND AND I CHASED HER AROUND THE DEN FOR A WHILE AND FINALLY CAUGHT HER AND CLIPPED THE WIRE OFF HER BEAK!!!! Believe it or not, she didn't even make a mess. The biggest joy was when my husband and I stepped out on the back patio and released her. We watched as she flew away quacking a thank you to us. My husband thinks she kept coming back because she really wanted our help but was too afraid to ask. Thank God, we were there to help!!!

Comments (4)