Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandirt

Coral Berry and Berry Plants for Birds

dandirt
15 years ago

I am considering ordering and planting several Coral Berry (Indian Currant)in my landscape and for the birds. This bush grows 2 to 3 feet tall and produces berries that the birds will eat. I get a lot of Cedar Waxwings, Robins, Woodpeckers, Bluebirds, etc. Does anyone grow this bush? Any comments or comparison with similiar type bushes or plants is appreciated.

Comments (7)

• kelp
    15 years ago

I have a hybrid called Symphoricarpos doorenbosii 'Amethyst'. It has cute little leaves, it's very twiggy, and I just love the color of the berries. (They don't last long,because something's eating them, but I'm not sure what.) Over-all, I really like the plant.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Other good berry plants are native viburnums, wax myrtle, dogwoods, blueberries (nice fall color too), spicebush (Lindera benzoin is the scientific name), hollies.

• vegangirl
    15 years ago

I have a lot of a Symphoricarpos that has violet berries. It's pretty but I have never seen a bird eating the berries. They just dry up and fall off.

The best berry I have is a Silky Dogwood. I don't remember the scientific name right now. It has attractive, blue berries with a greenish overtone. The leaves turn red in the fall. The only drawback for me is that it's branches lean over and root where ever it touches the ground so we have to keep it trimmed back. But, it's worth every minute of the time we spend on it. So far, these are the birds I've seen eating the berries: Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Scarlet Tanager, Brown Thrasher, Catbird, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, House Finch, Song Sparrow, Swainson's Thrush, Wood Thrush, Robin and probably some I'm not remembering. These shrubs grow along the creek and to think, we almost got rid of them all when we first moved here!! I am SO glad we didn't!

VG

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

I agree with esh ga with the choices of shrubs with berries. The only thing I've read about Symphoricarpos orbiculatus is that it is susceptible to mildew. I am not sure if the birds go for Common Snowberry which does not get mildew.

VG- Symphoricarpos with violet berries? I'm not sure which variety that would be? Are you sure that is not Symplocos (sapphireberry)? Or callicarpa (beautyberry)? I thought sapphireberry was a favorite of birds. My beautyberry is always left untouched by the birds. If it is symphoricarpos and you know the name, I would love to know so I can try to find it.
    P.S. I am definitely in zone envy of your silky dogwood!

• chrsvic
    15 years ago

Ive grown the indian currant coralberry, it makes a nice ground cover. For me it never got up to knee high, you could use it where many folks might use cotoneaster. I didn't witness birds eating the berries, but they disappeared. Very pretty.

Snowberries, the white fruited ones - for me the berries turned black and fell off, mine must have been diseased. But, the blooms are attractive to hummingbirds. There are symphoricarpus with violet or pinkish berries, they are all pretty.

• HU-900375442
    3 years ago

I am always interested in supporting the natural life, have a lot of gardens, would plant this in one of them to help out the kids. Good idea? Thanks, Nancy

• HU-900375442
    3 years ago

I also would like to plant this in my landscape for the birds, but do not know which birds it attracts! Can anyone help? rivergardening@gmail.com. Thanks!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area