Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy fun mosquito "trap"

Posted by nopeda123 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 14:05

I learned to make a sort of trap for mosquitos that was good fun for me, but not much for the mosquito larvae. I got some unchlorinated water and put some dried grass in it letting it sit about a week. That gave micoorganisms a chance to grow and the water got sort of cloudy. Then took some of the water and placed it in small containers around the yard. That is the perfect standing water we're told not to have around because mosquitos reproduce in it. But doing it deliberately in small containers works to the human advantage and mosquito disadvantage because once a week we can go around and dump them out onto the dry ground. That's the fun part...killing dozens of future mosquitos in one stroke :-) About the shortest time in great conditions mosquitos can go from egg to adult is ten days, so dumping traps once a week works great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy fun mosquito "trap"

I have tried a home made mosquito trap that really works. You can also try this trap.

Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here