Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird Feeding Station Problem - Suggestions Please

Posted by danell 7 Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 14:24

I have a large planter placed in a planting bed with a bird feeding pole that comes up through the planter. Looks nice but not well thought out. The seed falls into and around the planter. Of course it molds and cakes on the soil both in and around the planter. Cleaning around the plants in the planter is difficult at best and that on the ground, while easier, is not great either.

What do think if I were to put two layers of ground cloth under and around the planter. Seed would fall on it, water could drain through, I could just sweep up the fallen seed, and it would not lend to reflective heat as placing stone slabs would.

As for the planter, I could take the pole out and place it just behind the planter then maybe put one layer of ground cloth or fine screening on top of the soil in the planter before cutting holes into it then replace plants.

Your thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird Feeding Station Problem - Suggestions Please

If there's that much waste then you may want to think about changing to a more efficient feeder first.
If we feed the birds then eventually, every one of us will have the same issue. I for one, changed to a deeper feeder and then modified the bottom seed tray to be even deeper than the original manufactured design. Now, about the only seed debris I have is from sunflower shells and those are not bad at all.
In any case, your ground cloth idea would probably work but do you want to be constantly sweeping/cleaning IT off just as you do now?
If you feed the birds then it IS always an issue but I know of no good way to train the birds to not to be quite so messy...
Steve in TX

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here