Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodchips or Grass

Posted by nosambos 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 15:22

I have a 50' by 75' back lawn which I mow only a few times a season. Over 12 years I have never fetilized the area and I have allowed most anything to grow there. I have enjoyed seeing many tiny weedy plants that most people with manicured lawns never get to see. By the end of the season the area looks very unkempt. I notice that many breeds of birds scratch around the grass looking for insects and turning up lots of moths. My front yard is woodchips and I am considering dumping woodchips in the back. Woodchips would provide habitat for worms, salamanders and other insects. Any opinons about the net change in food source for birds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodchips or Grass

Well, the wood chips will reduce the amount of seeds and change the types of insects available for a while I would think. One solution might be to incorporate some logs and large rocks into the weed patch. This would add hideouts for toads, woodland insects, and salamanders while maintaining the weeds and weed-featings insects for the birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here