Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodeosquirrel

baby rabbit trapped in my yard

RodeoSquirrel
18 years ago

a beautiful baby bunny is stuck in my yard since yesterday.

what should i do? should i leave her alone? shes very safe and im sure she can find food in my garden. i also gave her carrots. im worried about water though, i have a pond but theres a small fence around it that keeps her out im sure. can she survive on morning dew that wets the grass?

i can drive her out but im worried she may end up in somethings mouth (cat,hawk etc)

can i keep her back there as a pet? theres plenty of leaf litter under the deck for shelter. or do i just act like nothing and leave her to nature?

there was a hole under my fence that i just recently put a brick there to block my new puppy from escaping...i am guessing this is why she is trapped. i can remove the brick tonight and see if she escapes, but i want her shes soooo cute lol

Comments (19)

• ericwi
    18 years ago

Rabbits are cute, but they have many predators, so it might be best to avoid getting too attached. We have them in our neighborhood, too. To my knowledge, they get all the water they need from the grass and plants that they chew up. Unless your fence is unusually secure, the rabbit will likely get out on her own initiative. It could be that she is staying in your yard because there is food available, and she feels safe.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

Good advice Eric.

RodeoSQ, lil' juvey can get all the moisture from eating dew-laden greens and plants at dawn or dusk. Even though I've put out water dishes for several of my rehabbed cottontails, released in our yard, I've never observed them drinking (like the chippies and squirrels do, from clay saucers). And don't fret about placing out carrots because if you've got clover, dandelion greens, wide-blade grasses, plaintain, and nice petunias or other tasty leaves, baby or juvey will find some nibbles. Got any collards or parsley nearby? AND YES, Outdoor CATS, hawks, crows, foxes, owls, racoons, free-roaming land preds like dogs will all kill and eat young rabbits. Adults too. ... so please do your best to provide thick cover, brush piles, prickly places with tiny openings *just the rabbit can hide under*/get into, a log fortress that predators can't weasel in, to give her the best chance of survival. Pallets with small 4-5" openings attractively landscaped with tons of brush and heavy weighted objects as a roof cover may offer additional hiding grounds. Don't shoosh her out; if she feels threatened or smells nocturnal preds around, she'll try to find a better spot to help her survive another, (gulp), week or more.

You can email me privately and I'll tell you numerous reasons why wild cottontails do not make good pets. Yet they sure are peaceful creatures, heavenly to watch, and cute. A joy to observe and appreciate. We've been watching two grow up for about a year now. As Eric writes, you can get attached especially when you raise 'em from infancy or see them so young. Two of our yard beelers are no longer seen in our yard. We see vagrant trespassing cats though. GRRRR. Rehabbed and released Nacho Beeler was last seen Aug. 17th and my husband and I miss him dearly. Female Blr J was spotted a few days ago. And my heart sunk on Saturday when I stopped at the shelter and they said... "someone's bringing in a cottontail to be euthanized that got grabbed by their dog".

I believe the one I cared for a month ago who fell into the inground pool was a victim of earlier cat attack.

More predators are likely to visit the pond during the night, so if he/she's hunkering down closer to sheds and buildings or little cottontail's in a safe spot, keep some guardian angel eyes watching over her for as long as you can! Their lives and time on earth are precious.

Keep us posted. FCF

I hope she/he makes it and lives to be 6 months old or old'r. ... if she's w/you in colder weather, you can try a few pieces of apple w/peel [no seeds] along w/carrots, and 1 T. of old-fashioned oat flakes.

• RodeoSquirrel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well dang the poor things future looks bleek lol
    shes very safe in my yard. i have a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence close to the ground so no cats or other larger critters can come in. im in an open newer community with woods on the outside so i think the owls stay away. i tried to get a picture of her but she hopped away pretty quickly, that lil white cotton butt was hesterical lol. earlier today she sorta played possum when i saw her but later on she ran from me, i wont disturb her/him again.
    if shes still around in a few weeks would it be a good idea to get some kind of small dog house or dog igloo for her? i can place it under my deck which is huge and has alot of space and security.
    the only thing i can think of that i know i have in my yard that may be a threat are short tailed shrews, can they kill a baby bunny?

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Rodeo, the rabbit will survive fine on its own, and that includes finding food, water and shelter. If it could get into your yard, it can get out, too, if it wants to. Rabbits dig very well!

Like FCF said, wild rabbits naturally have a very short life span because of all their predators. That's just the way it is, and there's not much you could do to change that. Trying to keep the rabbit as a pet would guarantee a short, miserable life for the rabbit, as cottontails do not adapt well to captivity and typically die quite soon. Your shrews are not a threat to a juvenile rabbit.

Just enjoy the rabbit where it is, knowing that its days may be brief, but that your yard is a haven for it while it is around.

• RodeoSquirrel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

will do thanks :o)

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

As jill wrote, cottontails are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to reaching their 2nd or 3rd birthday. Just about every mammal besides a toad will eat them. You all know I love them dearly but I'm a realist, as Jill mentioned they do not have long life spans. Rabbits won't live 17 years like hawks or owls. My DH and I purposely put out supplements in the winter to ensure their survival. That way Beeler J and Nacho Beeler wouldn't have to rely entirely on bark and twigs for wintertime food. FCF's wildlife rehabilitator cottontail study continues...
    Re: dog igloo. Rabbits will need at least an entrance and exit. Straw bales, brush mansions, and a plastic Sterlite rectangular box w/air holes - cropped up w/just enough space to snuggle under - kept Beeler J and Nacho safe during last winter. I'd see one or the other laying on top the hay underneath the plastic bin. They knew to hide in the garden gazebo w/four lattice walls and chewed the squares larger, to fit their growing bodies. They had two routes to escape should danger or predators threaten. Think of hiding in a closet and there's only one door. And a large hungry alien wanting to eat you is lurking nearby. You'd want the extra bolt hole or escape route. Rabbits learn to map territory very carefully and memorize protective hidey spots.

RodeoSQ, consider constructing some log forts or brush huts under your deck if you wish and give that herbivore youngster a better chance.

((stay protected youngen))

• deefar
    18 years ago

If the rabbit got in, the rabbit can get out.

• RodeoSquirrel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"If the rabbit got in, the rabbit can get out"

yep but you forget i blocked the entrance with bricks so my puppy wont get out. this is a shallow area that adult rabbits have made over the winter and all summer. the shallow started to get bigger and bigger and for a tiny beagle puppy it would be an easy escape. i just hope these rabbit holes dont pop up all around my fence other wise its gonna be a pretty funny lookin fence with bricks all over the place lol

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

oh my gosh. you didn't mention the beagle part before. Let the little juvey get out and run as far away as she can.

• RodeoSquirrel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol yeah i did its written way up there in my main post about the space, brick and the puppy.
    i moved the brick away last night and put it back this morning so puppy dont get out. i think the bunny left. i didnt see it today at all, and my dog and pup ate the carrots lol

• bellowbelle
    18 years ago

I specifically came to this forum today to post about the great time I'm having with MY new baby bunny! It's working out much better than I thought it would.

I was driving to the post office or somewhere, and some little boys walking down my road, one holding the bunny, called out, 'Want a free rabbit?' 'No,' I said. But, on my way home, they were STILL walking around with the rabbit, and I realized that they probably had a problem regarding what to do with it. Turns out that their relative bought it and couldn't keep it, had turned the bunny loose in the wild, but it had been hanging around still.

I knew I still had a bunny cage and some supplies, and this little bunny looked like he had such a sweet disposition...so, I said, 'Okay,' on second thought, and took the bunny.

I take him outside and let him munch in the garden, and he seems to enjoy listening to classical music. Lives on the porch for now, but will be inside in the winter, in a new bunny house that I've ordered.

I never thought I'd want a rabbit, because they seem contrary to good gardening -- if you want a crop of nice herbs or flowers. But, for me, a rabbit is actually a companion and sympathizer, and I appreciate that he likes the oregano that I don't know what to do with right now, and so on!!!

I prefer to let animals remain in the wild, but, this bunny was already tamed, and since he was removed from family and friends, I didn't know if he'd find a way to survive our very tough winters and so on.

• vonyon
    18 years ago

Non-native or domesticated animals should never be allowed to roam and run wild. I can't imagine why people dump pets. It seems to be such a paradox in this day and age that we have organizations like peta and then we have people who, on the other hand, drop animals that have been pets on the side of the road. I just don't get it.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

I don't get it either, Vonyon, but I got a dozen cats that way...sigh.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

Found the below-linked article while gearing up to do a Companion Rabbit Education Event at our local humane society. Jill, I know this applies to irresponsible people dumping their unwanted kittens or cats as well. The kennel manager was looking at a gold cat last Saturday, in the process of birthing, in a covered housing unit kept up in the office. Her comment, "what dirty boy did this to you?" Exemplifies the problems of unneutered roaming domestics and ferals. One big difference which saddens us vegetarian-minded humans; cats are carnivores; rabbits are herbivores. We loved our indoor cats too. We adopted 3 affectionate house bunnies who came in as *dumped* strays.

bellowbelle - you got a cottontail or a domestic? That's a d*mn lucky rabbit not to be tossed out by those kids. My house bunnies love the lemon balm and oregano pieces I put in their salads. Next year I'll expand my herbal garden.

FCF, rescuer too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rescuers hop to it

• RodeoSquirrel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

when i was younger my friend (age 10) found a bunny on his summer vacation in upstate ny. he brought it home and it would stay in his arms. it was indeed a cottontail. well he only had it for a few weeks when the bunny jumped out of his arms and ran away. wouldnt be so bad if it ran away in the country but it ran away in brooklyn ny! oye
    the bunny you have most definetly sounds like a domestic and thank goodness you got him, im sure those kids or their parents didnt care too much and he would have been left in the wild and wouldnt last long.
    i had a domestic French Lop Eared growing up and he was great. he was jet black and was like a dog, and at around 10 pounds looked like one too lol, his name was Rudy :o)

• vonyon
    18 years ago

A little off topic here.......I don't want anyone to think my comments indicate that I am a proponent of either of the extreme points of view that I mentioned (peta or people who dump animals). I actually prefer moderate, practical points of view. I have and will remain an independent thinker/voter. I go by what makes sense to me after careful listening/reading, consideration and personal research. Respectful dialog is probably the best way to convince people of another point of view. It is one of the things that I value most in these forums. I can honestly say I have changed my opinions on many things by hanging out here. Before coming here, I had outdoor cats and actually believed they were healthier for it, didn't understand why anyone would keep one in, never even knew what a native shrub/plant was and enjoyed feeding the birds in my yard cheap seed. Having said all that, I had never bothered to even think about all of that. But, it is the respectful views of a few of you that have helped me to change my opinion on all of these topics. Thanks for taking the time to post thoughtful respectful information.

• mickk3
    16 years ago

I have a rabbit trapped in my yard as well... problem is i live in urban los angeles and the yard is walled in on 3 sides (cinder block) and the ground is paved. i've been feeding it and don't mind doing so, but there are lots of cats in this area (and liviing in a concret jungle doesn't seem like such a good life for the critter). please advise -

mick

• tweedbunny
    16 years ago

bellowbelle - Bless you for taking the bunny from the kids and giving it a good home!

It breaks my heart when parents buy rabbits for their kids as toys or as easter presents. The kids get tired of them after awhile. Then the poor bunnies are either released and get eaten or run over by a car, or WORSE, thrown into a tiny hutch and abandoned, never feeling the grass between their toes again. Most people I know 'owned pet rabbits' when they were young. One friend told me he had a rabbit that had been locked up in a hutch so long, that it was so fat, it couldn't even stand up and walk and its toenails were long and curly. His story brought tears to my eyes - really - because Im sure there are lots of other bunnies that share the same lifestyle.

Compared to that, the fate of being killed by a predator or car seems far kinder! *Sniff*

Im currently fostering 4 domestic rabbits rescued from the shelter. Two are babies that fell out of the back of a pickup truck and were taken to the shelter by a witness. Another was set free in a park and the last was turned in to the shelter by a family that didn't want him anymore because he scrambled when the kids held him. He'd been at the shelter for 14 days and was to be put down that morning. So if anyone wants a garden bunny... ;)

• ashley8
    15 years ago

All black babby rabit with a little white speck on nose has been in my yard for the past 4 weeks. He is friendly, and will come as close to us as 3 feet or so. Is it a wild rabbit or a domestic rabbit? With fall coming, what should we do with him. It will be too cold for him in the yard.