Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdloverlowell

Native Viburnums?

birdloverlowell
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to gardening and I want to start with viburnums that have berries that birds will eat. However, I'm confused about the term "native viburnums". So I'm throwing out 2 questions: 1. At the garden centers, there are Arrowwood viburnums like Chicago Lustre. Would those still be considered a native shrub for the Chicago area and attractive to birds? and 2. I am finding Mohawk viburnums that look great, and have berries, but reading about them tell me they might NOT be a native viburnum and so the birds might not want the berries on a Mohawk viburnum? Anyone have any of these shrubs?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• loris
    17 years ago

Invasive plants are taking over many natural areas and causing problems for native plants and the wildlife that depends on them. For that reason, if possible, I think it's better to stick with native plants. I donÂt always do so though.

That said---and yes, I do admit to having a bit of an agenda here, :)
    birds and other wildlife often eat berries from non-native plants. In fact, that's part of what helps to spread invasives.

I did a Google search and found out Mohawk is a cultivar of Viburnum x burkwoodii which is not native, but at least from a quick look I didnÂt see any indications that it would be invasive near you. IÂm attaching a link to site I use to try to help determine whether I feel comfortable planting a given exotic. I donÂt depend on this site alone, but if it shows up as marked with red on this site, I try to avoid the plant. Mohawk didnÂt show up on this list, and V. dentatum which is the species for the cultivar ÂChicago Lustre shows up as native to Illinois. What I saw on Google shows both these plants as attractive to birds.

People disagree sometimes about the right way to have a native garden. I try to plant whatÂs native to the northern half of my state. There was a woman who used to frequent the forums here, who was quite knowledgeable and she did not believe in planting cultivars. I donÂt think too many people here agreed with her straight species rules. I getting more interested in planted straight species, but cultivars are often more readily available, usually seem to provide the same wildlife benefits, and often have qualities that will encourage people to use them in their gardens that sometimes straight species plants donÂt.

In case you want to research other plants to use, IÂm giving you a link to the UConn Plant DB Search page. ItÂs geared towards Connecticut, but from what IÂve seen thereÂs an enormous overlap of which plants are native. On the search page, thereÂs a section for special qualities (the siteÂs not available at the moment, so I canÂt double check the exact wording), and you can specify US native. The detail pages will give more details such as wildlife value, and native range.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Tech Dendrology page for Illinois

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

Try the NH state nursery. They have several wild type viburnum species, as well as many other good wildlife supporting plants. They ship only in spring. The paper catalog is easier to navigate, and decide which species is best for you, than the website IMO. The prices can't be beat. Some of the species that they offer may not be native to your area, but they all should grow there. The catalog has a lot of info about which species are best for wildlife and why.

Here is a link that might be useful: nh state nursery

• vonyon
    17 years ago

I would like to second Patrick's suggestion. I LOVE NH Nursery. I bought almost all of my shrubs from them 2 years ago and I have a great border now. Almost everything is berrying and huge already. I would recommend elderberries and dogwoods as well as the viburnums. You can't go wrong with the prices.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

You will probably need to check your own state nursery. Most states have one. It may be ran by the state conservation department or natural resources department. Normally you can not purchase from a state nursery unless you live in that state.

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

I wouldn't have suggested it if it weren't an option. I don't know about other states, but the NH State nursery is happy to ship to anyone in any other state who is willing to pay for the plants and the shipping charges.

• vonyon
    17 years ago

NH Nursery is definitely open to all. It was recommended to me by a woman that used to post here, and she lived in Long Island, NY. I buy from there all the time and I don't live in NH.