Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwesternerr

What's Attracting Species in Your Area

midwesternerr
15 years ago

Im in MO, USA. Currently hummingbirds are flocking to Jewelweed like crazy. Anywhere that are perching opportunities and jewelweed seems to be buzzing with hummers.

Gold Finches are foraging like mad too. They seem to be especially found of large trees in a Savanah setting, those trees tend to be buzzing with dozens of finches right now.

Any tree with fruiting vines also seems to be attracting flocks of fruit eating birds.

Comments (10)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Gold Finches have flocked to the cupplants in my yard.

House Finches have been flocking the feeders too.

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Let's see........the robins and cedar waxwings seem to love the black cherry seeds. The goldfinches love the perilla when it goes to seed (and of course the coneflower). The squirrels are waiting for the walnuts to fall. The bees and other insects like the flowers on the autumn clematis.
    (And soon and VERY unfortunately, the robins and catbirds will be eating the fruits of the invasive japanese honeysuckle all over our property, and spreading it for miles.) The cardinals seem to especially like the seeds of the tulip trees, which should be falling soon. The elderberries are ripe and are a favorite of many birds. They usually eat them while they're still green, but this year, alot of the bushes have the purple berries still on them. Would love to make some jelly out of them.
    The male hummers are gone from this area, and I fear the females will be gone soon too. Summer went too fast this year.

• ohiogdnr
    15 years ago

I'm in SW Ohio.....we seem to have more goldfinches than ever this year. They are going crazy for the rudbeckia, echinacea and verbena bonariensis. I had evening primrose bloom for the first time this year and they are enjoying them, too!

I see a lot of Monarch Butterflies in the yard but I'm not seeing them on anything in particular. They may just be enjoying the pond and the bird baths.

The hummingbirds zoom in on the Salvia 'Lady in Red' first, then the Firecracker ruellia. They hit and miss on everything else....

The squirrels have been grabbing a few tomatoes and a racoon managed to snag the biggest golden orf out of my pond. The fish was 9 years old, 12" long and beautiful. I wanted to cry. Such is nature though....right?

• terrene
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about your fish, Ohiogdnr. Raccoons (and Herons) seem to be pretty pesty in ponds, from what I've read.

There are a couple of large (50+ years) Pin Oaks on my property, and they seem to be making a lot of acorns this year. The canopy of one overhangs the deck and the acorns make a loud ping noise when they drop on it. The grey squirrels are busy burying acorns here and there. Thanks to them I'll probably be weeding out lots more baby Oak trees next year!

I didn't see a hummer today, but have seen one on the Physostegia virginiana and the Cardinal Climber (Ipomoea x sloteri) in the past few days, both of which are blooming abundantly right now.

The birds are going nuts over the annual Sunflower 'Mammoth Grey Stripe'. This morning I watched Titmice, Goldfinches, and even a Downy Woodpecker picking at the seeds and flitting amongst the leaves.

The Goldfinches are all over the gardens, on the Agastache, Coneflower, Helianthus 'Lemon Queen', Rudbeckia, etc.

Still lots of pollinators on the late bloomers - the annuals, Solidago, Aster, Monarda punctata and citriodora, Ageratina altissima, etc. but the number of butterflies has really thinned out.

This is some of the obvious activity, but I bet it only scratches the surface.

• terrene
    15 years ago

Oh and forgot to mention! I have a large "log feature" where the huge trunk of Norway maple lays on the ground. It was too large for a friend to cut up and haul the wood away, so I decided to incoporate it into the woodland garden. I watched a large Cooper's Hawk, standing on the log, tearing apart a chipmunk it had caught! The hawk was there for about 15 minutes, until it decided to take its prey and fly away.

• vegangirl
    15 years ago

That's too bad about your fish Ohiogdnr.

Hummingbirds in the jewelweed. Tennessee warblers are eating insects in the wild cherry and locust trees and also eating ripe elderberries. I watched a song sparrow eating elderberries today too. Blueberries are attracting cardinals, yellow-rumped warblers, and others. Ironwood (carpinus) seeds are being eaten by rose-breasted grosbeaks. Migrating scarlet tanagers and thrushes are eating the silky dogwood berries and the wild grapes. Migrating orioles, yellow-billed and black-billed cuckoos are eating the tent caterpillars. I've seen titmice and goldfinches eating them too. Several species of warblers are foraging in all the trees and the wild asters and goldenrod. Field and song sparrows are eating seeds of some grass that my grandpa called foxtail grass. This is an exciting time of year for a birder:)
    VG

• dirtboy58
    15 years ago

Hummingbird on the agastache. Bees on the catnip and sunflowers. I was beside myself when I finally got berries on my eastern hackberry tree this year (only took ten long years!)...don't know what birds will eat those. I also saw a bluejay for the first time since I left Louisiana 15 years ago. Can I tell ya what joy that brought me? All I want now (because I'm always wanting :P)...is a shy Cardinal to fly west from Kansas and find my Elderberry...one of these days! OH, and I've never seen this before on a trumpet vine...I've got 3 large bean pods growing out of where the flower was...wha?? Never seen that before! Always something new! I love gardening for sure!
    Paul

• weazle1334
    15 years ago

At the moment robins are stripping my dogwoods. They fly off sort of strange, are the berries fermented? I also have chipmonks climbig water oaks for acorns.Today is a very beautiful fall day here in Alabama hope every-one else has the same weather.

weazle

• longlegggs
    15 years ago

Near Valley forge, Pa. all berry types, walnut trees, hollies, coneflower, Mexican hyssop, bee balm, annuals for the bees, hummers,etc., daises, zinnias, butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, milkweed, white pine, blue spruce, cypress, cedar, crapapple, granny smiths, bosc pears, elderberries, black-eyed-susans, ponds, running water, wildlife habitat where we feed and house for the animals survival. Furnish corn, seed and also safflower for the doves, niger seed, etc. Lots of loving work and care. Our original family farms along the Schuylkill River.

• ankraras
    15 years ago

Where we live, I have noticed one of the most beautiful birds I have never seen here before. We grow Pyracantha which is a heavy producer of winter red berries.

{{gwi:7760}}