Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talking Possum

Posted by meilie z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 17:59

Have you ever witnessed a possum talking? I have a pair that have visited my yard this year and while I was standing near my pond, feeding my koi just after dusk, I happened on to the pair who were foraging in my garden. I think they were hunting for slugs and other jucie delights and they didn't know I was nearby. They were wandering around about 5 ft. from each other and one was giving a repeated and constant "click, click, click", very subtle but enough to be heard 10 feet away.

I don't know if this was a mating call or idle chat, but until they spotted me, they were calmly foraging and walking around. After my presence was known, the talking stopped and they proceeded to find cover and an exit. I had expected a growl or warning call, but there were no other verbal sounds as they retreated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talking Possum

The male makes the clicking with his teeth, usually as a preamble to mating. He will follow her around making the click until she lets him 'have his way' then she gives him the ol heave ho. possums usually save hisses and threats for desperate situations. If there is a retreat path, they will take it.

o
RE: Talking Possum

Mother possums also make a very quiet, click...almost like a little tic sound to their babies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here