Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjean7bga

Raccoons in Urban Areas

greenjean7bga
15 years ago

I visited my daughter today at her new home in Atlanta. Her neighbor 2 doors down came over. She had a large raccoon come in her cat door during the daytime and eat her cat food.

I have Googled Raccoon and found that they will search for food in the daytime and more so if they are rabid.

Also, I learned that raccoons raised as pets that have been fed cat food often become overweight.

Animal Control has been called and the trap should be out tomorrow.

Has anyone had these problems and if so how did you solve it?

Jean

NW GA

Comments (7)

• greenjean7bga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add that I have a 3 year old granddaughter and really want her to be safe playing in her yard.

Thanks,

Jean
    NW GA

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Remove the source of attraction. Do not leave food outside and do not have a cat door that allows them entry. Eventually they will move on to easier pickings.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

Raccoons tend to live in some density where they live. I doubt removing a raccooon or two will keep them out of the yard (although it may fix your specific issue with the one that has learned to find easy food). I would fix the cat door so that it doesn't open anymore, anything could inside your house through that thing! As far as raccoons in the yard, I don't think there is any real danger there. Just don't feed the raccoons and they'll be much more likely avoid you.

• greenjean7bga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Since, my daughter's neigbor travels a lot, I am not sure she will go for closing up her cat door. I will try.

Much apreciation for the help.

Jean
    NW GA

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

If you think about it, had they not had a cat door to give access to the raccoon, they might not know they had one there. And now they are going to trap it?

If raccoons were fatal to humans, we'd all be sick or dead. They are pretty common, and as long as the humans don't attract them (with food inside or outside), they will leave you alone.

Many animals that are trapped by concerned homeowners are either euthanised or die because they are relocated into a new, unknown territory. And then another raccoon will move into your daughter's area, and if she leaves food out or has a cat door - same problem. So either way, she should remove the source of food, and leave the poor things to live out their lives.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

Seperate issue, but cats that are kept inside live more than 3x longer than those allowed to roam. Diseases, cars, other cats, posions (antifreeze is a common one but also posioned mice that are eaten), etc. are all out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dangers to outdoor cats

• greenjean7bga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

elly, I SO agree with you on all the points you made. The cat door needs to go. I live in the country north of Atlanta and welcome all native critters. There are passive ways to deal with them should they become problematic. Usually it is a matter of removing the food source. Bungee Cords have become my best friend for hanging my bird feeders.

midwesternerr, You made a good point also. I learned this one the hard way. I lost a sweet kitty who wasn't a hunter to some unknown outside attacker and after spending $500.00 trying to save him, I still lost him.:( I now have 2 inside only cats. Thanks for the "Dangers to outdoor cats" link. I will share this.

Thanks to you both for your support and advice. I called my daughter and shared your answers with her. She will relay this information to her neighbor when she returns from her business trip.

Sometimes you just need some backup!:)

Jean
    NW GA