Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Housing for Birds

Redthistle
15 years ago

In my yard, I have three bird baths and tons of native plants plus mature trees that produce food and act as cover for the birds. The birds use these bird baths and I have a large variety of birds--no rare varieties--but that doesn't bother me. All birds are welcomed.

In trying to accommodate the birds, I've also put up several different kinds of bird houses over the seven years I've lived here.--There are hanging wooden houses, one painted and one not. I have a bird house on a cedar pole in the shade, one secured to the side of my shed, one hidden in a small tree, and one ceramic house that hangs. Sadly, not one house has ever been used.

What am I doing wrong? These houses are not close to people or noise. The shed is at the back of the yard...Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Its hard to say... hole size, shape of box and location are key factors.

I've had wrens build nests in empty bird feeders, so I find it odd that you couldn't at least get a wren or a sparrow to build something in one of those houses.

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

The very best place to go for information on cavity nesting birds is sialis.org It is mostly about Blue Birds but the guidelines are there for others too. Good Luck.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

The vast majority of commercially sold birdhouses are improperly built for birds. You need a specific house for specific species of birds. You also need predator protection. Let me give you a basic overview to explain why all this is important.

An entrance hole 1-1/4" or larger allows house sparrows. If you have many house sparrows, they will very likely try to take over any suitable house. However, you might still be able to get away with a smaller entrance hole for house wrens. Maybe you don't have house sparrows, but you have starlings. I forget what entrance hole they start fitting into to, maybe over 1.5"? SO now you could get away with a 1-1/4" entrance hole which will admit a couple of other cavity nesting species. Different species also nest in different habitat. Bluebirds nest in grassy fields or meadows, while pileated woodpeckers make their own houses in forests with carpenter ants.

Predators are also a problem. Cats, snakes, and raccooons can all be predators depending on location. The stovepipe guards on metal poles are probably the best solution if you have all of these types of predators visiting your yard. You can either buy them or get instructions for making them online. A birdhouse mounted to an unguarded, wooden pole is considered a predator feeding station.

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for everyone's response. I've been sick for the last couple of days or would have responded sooner.

I knew the hole size made a difference. I actually don't think I have that many sparrows; however, even if no one else likes them, I'd welcome them if they nested in one of my houses.

The birds I have are mostly cardinals, mockingbirds, bluejays, doves, and probably wrens and finches. My neighbor behind me has owls. My lot is open with trees on the perimeter, while my neighbor's lot is so dense with trees that it could be considered a fenced forest.

There are raccoons in the area so that could be a factor, and I've had fire ants make a "nest" in one box.--Very weird!

I'll take a look at sialis.org. Thanks again!

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

Raccoons won't likely be a problem on a properly guarded pole. Several species of owls will use nest boxes. Mockingbrds will nest in shrubs. I believe firethorn is a shrub they like a lot and is pretty common in nursery trade. Cedar waxwings also visit for the berries. Cardinals should have plenty of nesting sites in the brush. Different wrens require different entrance hole sizes. You can make a wire basket for doves to nest on or plant evergreen trees for them.

• lisa11310
    15 years ago

Red, though you may welcome House Sparrows, the person down the block that offers Blue Bird, Chickadee, Titmouse, Nuthatch, Tree Swallow, etc. boxes may not be so happy that you are offering HOSP a nice nesting spot. They will kill all of the above listed birds and eventually all you will have is HOSPS. It is sill your call what you want to have in your yard but I am glad you don't live near me!

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I really don't have many sparrows, if any at all. I've seen cardinals, mockingbirds, doves, wrens, and bluejays using my birdbaths. I live in an area that was annexed by the city some 30-odd years ago, so the lots are larger than the normal city lot with the smallest being 2/3rds acre and the largest being 4 acres. Since there are fewer of us in such a large area, I know most, if not all of my neighbors, and most aren't interested caring for the birds. (I have one neighbor who lives at the opposite end of my block, a five minute walk, who has 21 cats. Glad she's not nextdoor!). We do, however, have wild animals...raccoons as mentioned before, fox, deer, possums, and there is some debate (witnessed at the last Neighborhood Night Out) as to whether or not we have coyotes. My yard is fenced, and I've not seen anything but a raccoon in my yard.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

Red, based on my birdwatching here are some things I can say about the following bird species (you probably already know most of this since they visit your yard but.....)

Bluejays seem to really like Oak Trees or other tall trees.

Doves seem to like sunflowers. I've seen lots of them along highways where sunflowers are growing wild.

Both Mockingbirds and cardinals love shrub rows as mentioned earlier. Carolina wrens like to poke around in brush piles and old logs as well.

I think putting out any of those plants will provide extra food and shelter for the species visiting your property. Although raccoons may take some prey, they are less able to predate on species nesting on guarded poles and native plants. Studies show that native plants better protect nests against raccoons than exotics. The main concern would be capturing or killing any cats that might enter your yard.

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

You may have a problem with the neighbors nesting owls.....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!