Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed Forum

Posted by wildflowerman_2000 North Carolina in Z- (wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 8:50

Wanted-Folks to join the new MILKWEED FORUM on Gardenweb! As of Oct.21 this new forum is up and running and we hope to have everything "Milkweed" in one location for everyone to easily reference. Please help spread the word.
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed Forum

This forum is up and running, so all are welcome to visit. I'm going to let this post drift down now.

Martha

o

Thanks so much Martha for the gentle reminder. I have been remiss since the MILKWEED FORUM got started with the help of several forum members. I had emergency back surgery in December and have spent most of this cold and miserable winter inside. I have conducted 3 milkweed seed cleaning workshops where we have cleaned in excess of 10,000 milkweed seed for distribution to local growers here in the Carolinas to help enhance gardens for the Monarchs and other species of butterflies. The volunteers were all members of our local chapter of the NC Native Plant Society and we spent 3 days engulfed in milkweed fluff- with the accompanying coughing and sneezing. It was still lots of fun for what we all feel is a much needed endeavor to help the butterflies. I'm attaching a photo from the workshop and also a cartoon from a few years ago that seems very appropriate for our group.
Happy Milkweed season- Mark

o

Now here is the cartoon mentioned in the previous message. I can't ever figure how to send two or more photos in the same message.

o

Mark,
What method did your group use to separate the seeds from the fluff? I cleaned more seed last fall than I care to remember, and got pretty good at keeping the fluff under control, as long as the pod wasn't completely split and spilling already. I contacted Monarch Watch to see if they had any mechanical method, but they find that hand separating is not much different as far as efficiency goes. Just curious how you managed it. I'm sure I'll be at it again before I know it.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here