Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tortoise? On Long Island?

Posted by LuvaHydrangea Long Island 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 05 at 11:08

Look what I found creeping around my backyard.

I've never seen a tortoise ANYWHERE in the wild on Long Island. Do you think its an escaped pet? Any ideas on the type of tortoise this is? I gave it some apples, but he seemed really freaked out when he saw me, so I locked up the dog left him alone. I wonder if he's attracted to my brand new compost bin!

Thanks for looking!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tortoise? On Long Island?

I've had them lay eggs in my compost pile in the past. Eastern Box Turtles are native to Long Island, but probably have become quite scarce there in the past 30 years. Unfortunately, their traveling house doesn't protect them from cars. In many urbanized areas they are now quite scarce, bound for exterpation.

o

It's an Eastern Box Turtle. I think it is most likely a genuine natural wild specimen rather than an escaped pet. Nice picture and a great looking box turtle!

o

hi, i'm from NY originally, queens and LI and well we've seen a bunch of turtles over the years!!!

o

There's even a nice population of them on Plum Island. Yours is probably a native.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here