Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New or old nest?

Posted by vossner z9 houston (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 13:08

I have a rose in need of serious pruning, but as I was beginning to cut, I noticed this nest. I want birds to live peacefully in my garden but if this is a nest that won't be used again, I really need to prune my rose. Can you tell if it's a fresh nest? what kind of bird? OK to remove and then replace? thanks

C:\Users\Nery\Pictures\10292011\IMG_4179.JPG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New or old nest?

img src="

o
trying to get a #$%^ posted!!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/101491560105397261113/10292011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMza6J2Bmd-dVg#5668968902814654162

o
RE: New or old nest? trying again

sorry, I can't figure out how to post pic of my little nest. I had forgotten why it is that I don't post here. NOW I REMEMBER!

o
RE: New or old nest?, last try

https://picasaweb.google.com/101491560105397261113/Nest?authkey=Gv1sRgCI29-qLZ0LHAGw#5669023037366514386

o
RE: New or old nest?, truly one last time

sssss

Here is a link that might be useful: old or new nest?

o
RE: New or old nest?, practice

test

Here is a link that might be useful: practice upload of nest

o

I live up north, so I don't know about your birding down south. Do they have babies this time of year? Around here in Indiana, they usually stop by late August. Just watch the nest for a day or 2 and if nobody shows up, I'd say you're safe to cut it back.

o

I'll do as you recommend. thanks.

o

Nesting season is long over, even in the south. Your nest looks like it might be that of a mockingbird, but am not positive. It looks a bit messy and twiggy to be a robin's.

o

thank you all for your comments. Mockingbird is a good guess, I have a lot of those. I ended up trimming my rose and discarding the nest. But I do have one last rose to trim and that one, too, has a next. I will keep that one, as an experiment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here