Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charmed_gw

when to plant spicebush and serviceberry

charmed
16 years ago

Hello all. I just got a spicebush and a serviceberry (A.canadensis) at a native plant sale, and I've got a couple of questions. First, I'm wondering whether I should plant them now, or let them live in their pots until the spring. Second, I bought the serviceberry because a friend told me my existing serviceberry (A. laevis) would set berries if it had another serviceberry, and that it wouldn't have to be the same species. Any thoughts on this? Also, I know the spicebush will need a mate, but I thought it would make sense to try to sex the flowers next Spring, and hope to find a native plant sale going on while the spicebushes are still blooming so I can be sure to find what I need. Does that make sense, or should I just try to buy several at the same time and hope I get at least one male and one female? My goal is to eventually have a shady backyard with lots of native shrubs and small trees, but it's a pretty small yard so I have to try to make each plant count!

Comments (2)

• terryr
    16 years ago

Zone 7, but which state? In TN zone 7, I know now is the perfect time to be planting. My Amelanchier canadensis isn't large enough yet to berry, but the 1 I had in TN bloomed and berried with no mate. The fruit production might be heavier, but it isn't necessary. How large is the one you've got? Or how long has it been in the ground? Mine blooms sparsely, but no berries yet and was a small/young plant when planted. For the Lindera benzoin, I have 6 of them. I have a small property too, but I wanted to make sure I had at least 1 female out of all those plants. Mine have been in the ground for 2 yrs (again small/young) and they haven't bloomed yet, so there would be no way for me to sex them. I'm not sure how big or how long they have to be in the ground before they bloom. Lindera benzoin is also a host to the Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly, so that's just another plus in my book.

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Its a good time now, but remember to water it well all winter if its a dry winter, and don't forget to keep watering it all next year.